Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #1  
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Yesterday my tractors steering went out. The steering wheel spins freely in either direction but the tires do not turn. There is no tension on the steering wheel even when the tractor is not running.

Any idea what the problem is?

Also there is no hydraulic leak.

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #2  
It could be the piston seal on the steering cylinder. The fluid would pretty much bypass from one side of the cylinder to the other without any tension on the steering wheel.

However, I would suggest that you take a peek under the dash for the shaft connecting the steering wheel to the orbitrol (steering valve) to see if it's damaged, pulled off or stripped.

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #3  
Does the steering wheel turn easily with the tractor off?

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #4  
I saw the OP figured out the issue on another forum. I don't know if he is planning to come back or an update or not. Regardless, I'll give an update on the situation.

The OP somehow bent the steering cylinder some time before this happened and neglected to fix it. Not sure how it's possible to bend a steering cylinder on these tractors as it is well protected and out of harms way but neglecting to fix it resulted in a massive carnage as the piston was being pushed and dragged so hard against the barrel that was ripping smalls pieces out of both parts.

So the fluid was just bypassing straight from one side of the cylinder to the other. It also damaged the end pieces really bad.

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #5  
I had to replace the front cylinder on a 3510i and they are not cheap + rebuilding it is out of the question.
We tried to rebuild it and it lasted 10 minutes...

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #6  
I had to replace the front cylinder on a 3510i and they are not cheap + rebuilding it is out of the question.
I’m interested in why the rebuild didn’t last? My cylinder is pouring fluid out of the right hand side and I’m about to replace the seals. The seal kit is about $265 (ouch!) but a new cylinder is over $1,220! What happened with yours? Was the rebuild difficult?

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #7  
Any idea why the repair only lasted 10 minutes?
Did the barrel or piston have much scarring or did a seal get damaged during the install.
A good hydraulic shop could likely find all your needed seals possibly for quite a bit less.

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #8  
Guys, I had it rebuilt by a hydraulic shop he was a so called (expert) he even charged me 200 bucks to do it.
After the failure I called Daves tractor in Redbluff Ca. and ordered a new one, because I had to have that machine running quickly.
They were around 400. back then (I think)

/ Branson 3520h steering wheel spins freely #9  
The same problem happened to my McCormick x1.35 (3520 clone). Steering Cylinder was destroyed as was the rod. The ends were however fine, so I had my local machinist make a new cylinder and rod. The steering works fine. However, now that I go to use the PTO, I have no PTO despite all the electrics being tested good. The PTO clutch and steering system share the same pump, and my guess is that contamination got into the PTO valve.

All that to say that you can indeed rebuild the steering cylinder.