Branson 4820H hydrostat pedal effort

/ Branson 4820H hydrostat pedal effort #1  

PeteN

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2020 LS MT357HC
Test drove a 4820 Hydro and noticed the hydro pedal effort seemed much higher than when I test drove a Kubota MX6000 with the treadle pedal. Is this normal with independent F/R hydro pedals? Seemed like it would get tiresome to use. I did engage the cruise control button during the test drive so that would help somewhat when you're trying to run a constant speed.

/ Branson 4820H hydrostat pedal effort #2  
My 2515H pedals require significantly more effort than my buddies JD 4044M pedals do. The JD pedals are almost effortless.

/ Branson 4820H hydrostat pedal effort #3  
I vaguely recall that it may be possible to adjust the tension on the pedals. At least I think I read that on a couple threads about the pedals on the Branson. Hopefully someone can confirm or deny that.

/ Branson 4820H hydrostat pedal effort #4  
The force on mine changes quite a bit depending on which range I have selected. It's quite stiff for high (road) range.

/ Branson 4820H hydrostat pedal effort #5  
Mine also requires more effort and more of a gentle touch as the range goes up. It doesn't seem to take an excessive effort to hold the pedal down once it goes down though. I think some hydrostatic pedals do it by wire (the pedal does nothing more than send an input to a computer controlled servo) while the Branson is strictly mechanical engagement through force on the pedal. (That pedal by wire is an assumption on my part). I drove a JD compact a while back that definitely didn't feel like the pedals were directly engaging the hydrostat. You could wildly stomp on the JD's pedal and it still rather gently engaged. You sure can't do that on a Branson or any other older hydrostat.

In any case, the Branson Hydrostat takes a little more getting used to, and isn't really a problem at all once you do. In Branson's favor is it has less computer controlled idiot-proofing features that could be difficult to fix when and if they fail.

Last edited: