Brush cutter maintainance question

/ Brush cutter maintainance question #1  

dturnmire

Bronze Member
Tractor
Pt-180
On the Power Trac FAQ page the following is given:

Why are the bearings failing on the mower deck?

"The bearings may not be greased properly- they must be greased at least every 8 hours, or you may not be using the right type of grease- a high-temperature, high-speed grease is recommended. Also check the belt on the mower to be sure it is tensioned properly. "

While the FAQ deals with the "mower" I was wondering if the same applies to the brush cutter since it seems the only grease fitting I see on it is located near the swivel wheel. The bearings seem to be sealed. Has anyone seen more than one grease zerk on the brush cutter? Is high temperature grease also necessary on the brush hog? Thanks.

/ Brush cutter maintainance question #2  
May not apply to other models, but the PT185 brush cutter has grease fittings at the very base of the spindle housing under the covers on the topside of the deck. The problem is that a great deal of debris and gunk accumulates there. The grease fittings may be hiding under accumulated gooey gunk. Again, this is the location on the PT1850 mower.

/ Brush cutter maintainance question #3  
I just bought the used PT1460 boom mower that was on the site. In doing the maintenance before use, it has a standard "off the shelf" flange bearing on the hydraulic motor output shaft, between the motor and the blade and it has a grease fitting. Easily overlooked and camouflaged with debris.