Bucket snow removal fail

/ Bucket snow removal fail #12  
I have one of those bolt on tooth bars for my slip scoop. For my Steiner 430 with no breakout force to speak of, I found the teeth made a world of difference.

I have a V Blade and Blower, Both work very well in snow. I would never consider using the slip scoop, as it is too narrow and has no useable lift height. And no way to shake the bucket. Just thinking about even trying, makes me frustrated.

BOTH the front mounted blower and V Blade are a lot of fun to use! The way you can dance around and reposition yourself is impressive. Even with my stupid hand controls.

Last edited:
   / Bucket snow removal fail
Would a snow blower do the job in a situation like this?
Here in TN there just isn't enough snow to justify one. Besides that, I have a very long gravel drive which isn't ideal with a snow blower.

/ Bucket snow removal fail #14  
My thinking, better a blower on gravel than anything else.

/ Bucket snow removal fail #15  
Living in TN, I suspect most of your snow will be heavy wet stuff. If you have the space to push it somewhere, a blade is the best choice IMO. Blowers and wet snow do not play nice.

I have a gravel drive but live where i can establish a base layer so I am not digging up the gravel. I have used a heavy wall plastic pipe slit to fit over the blade bottom to plow when the gravel is loose. It is not perfect but helps a lot.

/ Bucket snow removal fail #16  
use edge tamers on the bucket to at least get down to the last inch or so, tipping bucket front edge up might help too.
Edge Tamers are GREAT!
I have a shell driveway.
The Edge Tamers leave the shells ON the driveway, where they belong.

/ Bucket snow removal fail #17  
With a blade you have either feet or pucks behind the blade to set the cutting edge up off the surface and keep it from digging in. you still have to use some skill and you can't just run it in float. It gets easier after you plow it the first time and it freezes. In the spring reclaim the stone you pushed off..... jim

/ Bucket snow removal fail #18  
i bought edge tamers. to be honest the bucket worked so well for me this winter over the atv, i stopped looking at snow blowers for the tractor simply not needed, i plowed up to 6 inches with the bucket with very little trouble, other then traction, where i then grooved the tires and that issue went away as well. i ran in float 99% of the time

/ Bucket snow removal fail #19  
Edge tamers are a great device, they do a great job in most cases.

However the variables are, gravel base or pavement?
Frozen or not?
Then U have to consider the blade weight as well.

I have DIY tamers on my blade and on my snow blower as well.
Both always leave an inch or so but that's OK as it creates a good base.
The challenge is to guess the optimal tamer size to match the equipment weight so as to not create an unmanageable base build up.

Naturally once your base is well frozen tamers are no longer needed.

/ Bucket snow removal fail #20  
Edge tamers are a great device, they do a great job in most cases.

However the variables are, gravel base or pavement?
Frozen or not?
Then U have to consider the blade weight as well.

I have DIY tamers on my blade and on my snow blower as well.
Both always leave an inch or so but that's OK as it creates a good base.
The challenge is to guess the optimal tamer size to match the equipment weight so as to not create an unmanageable base build up.

Naturally once your base is well frozen tamers are no longer needed.

Yes, base is well frozen ice....... A little skill goes a long way when plowing snow on a gravel road..... jim