Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #11  
Often refer to moldboard plows as "having a certain number of bottoms" so no apology needed..

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #12  
Ditto what beenthere stated.

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #13  
In general, that 4 series tractors possibly were JD's most success.
But for your needs, you should be looking into utility range and not tow crop.

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #14  
But for your needs, you should be looking into utility range and not tow crop.
I disagree with you. Due to JD rowcrop tractors having superior designed/better operating/easier to repair hyd systems I'd choose RC model over Utility model especially where a higher HP utility with dry clutch/FEL is concerned. My opinion comes from serving as a JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs.

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #15  
Jim, I do respect your contribution to this forum. You sure possibly know more about the Green Tractors than anybody else.
But what I would be steering the OP to is the old 5 Series. Apparently as bullet proof as the 4 but way more utility. In my opinion, the 4 is way overkill for the OP.

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #16  
I disagree with you. Due to JD rowcrop tractors having superior designed/better operating/easier to repair hyd systems I'd choose RC model over Utility model especially where a higher HP utility with dry clutch/FEL is concerned. My opinion comes from serving as a JD dealer service manager for 13 yrs.
There’s really no question about that.

/ Buying an old JD, maybe 4040, Beginner questions #17  
Bavarian
I also respect your opinion but Jared specifically stated [/quote]This has me looking at the old row crop tractors in the 85-100hp range[/quote] which JD 4030 & 4040 apply.

There are other members of this discussion forum that are as or more knowledgeable about JD tractors as I am BUT I probably more opinionated(vocal)

I agree JD 50 & 55 utility/rowcrop tractors are some of the better built tractors but utility hyd systems/ traction clutches won't warm up their rowcrop counterparts. There's no comparison in ease of operation of a tractor with a "flat operators station"(rowcrop) vs a "straddle operators station"(most utility models except higher HP models). I've owned a JD 4255 since Feb '93 & it's approaching 12,000 hours of use