Case 580CK brakes locking up

/ Case 580CK brakes locking up #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
As long as I'm posting about my old 580CK I thought I'd ask about other problems. The brakes on this mid 1970s backhoe will lock up from time to time. I can't figure out why. The brakes are totally mechanical. The way they work is when the pedal is pressed a band brake causes a drum to rotate at a different speed than the wheel. This drum has ramps in it upon which steel balls roll. The balls roll up the ramps and apply pressure to a disc which has brake facing on it. This facing is then pressed against another disc which then stops the tractor. It appears that the balls get stuck on the ramps. Like they are over travelling and then getting wedged in. The facing material on the braking disc looks plenty thick. The way to get the brakes unstuck is to change the direction the tractor was going. The brakes don't care which direction the tractor is going, they lock up equally well going forward or reverse. Anybody here have any experience with these?
Thanks,
Eric

/ Case 580CK brakes locking up #2  
Some of my IH tractors with the ball ramp disc brakes will do the same every 2-3 years. Dirt, and minor rust will get on the steel balls, and in the ramps. I take them apart, buff the steel balls, and ramps with a 2" medium Roloc gasket removal disc (fiber like material). It will clean almost all of the ramp out. I finish with a small wire brush. I then put a small dab of never-seize on the end on my finger, and make a swipe in each ramp. Basically enough to color it. Same with the steel balls, get some on the ends of my fingers, and like rub a little on the outside of the balls, then reassemble. Some times the balls will get a buildup of rust, and/or dirt on them, maybe even a little pitted, and cause them to grab, when pressure is applied.

The buffing, and coating with never-seize seems to take care of the problem for 2-3 years. Even though all of my tractors are parked inside, in non heated building, I notice it happening most in the Spring, after they go through the Spring sweats, when it's been pretty cold, then warms up. Moisture will collect on metal surfaces, due to condensation, and makes them look like they are sweating.

If the steel balls are pitted pretty bad, they do sell them aftermarket. I believe they are 7/8" in diameter. My old 310B Case hoe I had, has a similar brake assembly, like my IH tractors, but the 480C I now have, has a brake mechanism like yours. No problems with it so far, and I've had it for 12 years. But, it too is parked inside.

/ Case 580CK brakes locking up
Thanks DJ54. I took the brakes apart a few years ago and did just what you did. I guess it's just part of taking care of the Case. So I'll take the brakes apart and do the rust removal, polishing, and lubing with anti-seize.
Eric

/ Case 580CK brakes locking up #4  
On older models like the old 310B I had, that had the disc brake mechanism, without the band, had a problem of the bull pinion shaft seal leaking, saturating the brake disc's, leaving you with little, or no brakes. I haven't as of yet had that problem with my 480C. Could be they reengineered support for that shaft, so as to solve that problem. But, do know if it ever does, and your brake discs are in decent shape yet, you can take a propane torch, and literally boil the oil out of them. Then do a final surface clean with brake cleaner rough the surface, and reuse.

I had a retired Case mechanic show me that15 years ago, when doing my brakes on the 310B. Being the discs are bonded, I was afraid the heat would cause the bonding to release the brake material from the center disc. He assured me it wouldn't, and did not. At least for the 3-4 years I used it, before upgrading to the 480C.

I did read your threads on the other problems you have, but have not had those problems on mine. Hopefully, someone will chime in, and help you out.