Case IH DX-24 Cold weather steering issue

/ Case IH DX-24 Cold weather steering issue #1  

davidjmcclelland

Tractor
Case IH Farmall DX24 Manual TLB
I posted about this issue before and a suggestion was to change fluid and filter.
Since posting this was done and the problem continued as before, so I am researching for more answers.
Background (form my previous post)

I have to let the engine warm for 10 minutes if the temps are under freezing before I can turn the wheel. - tractor is stored outdoors.
I lift the front wheels off the ground with the bucket and try moving them - won't budge
I can eventually force the wheel but I don't like doing this. Once it starts moving it is almost completely normal - it does feel like the PS pump is a bit noisy. I don't want to ruin the pump.

I noticed a winter bypass valve listed on the schematics, but it looks like it is only for the HST model, mine is the manual gearbox.
I have read that some filters come with a winter bypass included in the filter body.
Can someone confirm my assumption that winter bypass is to allow viscous oil to pass through without filtering until it warms up?
Is there a major tradeoff using this type of filter?
How do I find a filter with this feature? I don't see any listed with the part numbers I have for filters for my tractor.
As an alternative - I have seen some hydro filters are taller than others - will this improve throughput and longevity of the filter? How are these identified? I use Wix filters... might be WL10114 .

Thanks in advance!

/ Case IH DX-24 Cold weather steering issue #2  
Wix hydraulic filters have proven to be problematic in many New Holland CUT applications in my experience, there is no reason to believe they would be different in a CaseIH tractor that came down the same assembly line. They are too restrictive. In your case, the main pump and steering pump feed from the same suction tube and the same filter. If cold oil and a too restrictive filter limit flow, the higher capacity main pump can rob all the suction flow because it is first in line.
Check the condition of your hydraulic oil, if it shows any contamination, change it.
Switch to an OEM hydraulic filter.
Consider changing hydraulic oil to a less viscous product. New Holland F200A (if still available) John Deere Low-Vis HyGard and Kubota Super UDT are excellent choices.
New Holland offers a cold weather hydrostatic charge pressure filter but no cold weather option for the main suction filter.

/ Case IH DX-24 Cold weather steering issue
The Fleetgaurd filter that came on mine when new was much taller than the replacement (same brand) and I never had steering issues even at extreme cold. Height probably corresponds to the amount of filtered material can accumulate in the filter and not suction required, but I think Case changed their filter OEM at some point around then and specs may have drifted. Wix was highly recommended by long-time Case IH CUT owners on a "Red" forum. I guess I am one now too - 15 years on mine.

I am considering getting thinner fluid thanks for the recommendations.

Wix hydraulic filters have proven to be problematic in many New Holland CUT applications in my experience, there is no reason to believe they would be different in a CaseIH tractor that came down the same assembly line. They are too restrictive. In your case, the main pump and steering pump feed from the same suction tube and the same filter. If cold oil and a too restrictive filter limit flow, the higher capacity main pump can rob all the suction flow because it is first in line.
Check the condition of your hydraulic oil, if it shows any contamination, change it.
Switch to an OEM hydraulic filter.
Consider changing hydraulic oil to a less viscous product. New Holland F200A (if still available) John Deere Low-Vis HyGard and Kubota Super UDT are excellent choices.
New Holland offers a cold weather hydrostatic charge pressure filter but no cold weather option for the main suction filter.

/ Case IH DX-24 Cold weather steering issue #4  
Do as you wish. First thing I would do if I were you is quit buying Wix hydraulic filters no matter who recommended them. CNH hydraulic filters are typically Fleetguard or Donaldson. Wix has never been an OEM supplier to CNH that I know of. And when I get a tractor with noisy, cavitating or sluggish hydraulics and a Wix filter, the first thing that happens is the Wix filter goes in the trash. Been working on and selling parts for New Holland tractors and equipment for 25 years.