Cat 259B3 hydraulics and electrical issue - related?

/ Cat 259B3 hydraulics and electrical issue - related? #1  

davejstl

Tractor
TYM T394 HST; Cat 259B3 skid steer
I recently bought a use Cat 259B3 with about 3100 hours. It ran perfectly for a while, then I come out one day and it won't start. It just clicked when I tried to start it, so I jumped it and it ran fine for a while. Battery is dated May 2021.

Then the loader arms started getting jerky. Instead of smooth operation, they would go up or down in jerky motions about a foot at a time. Soon after that (probably less than a minute), the machine wouldn't move anymore. Loader wouldn't move, tracks wouldn't move, but engine was still running fine.

I stop the machine, and of course it won't start on its own. I jump it, and get it moving again.

Since then, I have to jump it every single time. It usually runs fine for at least a few minutes, but usually the same pattern will occur - loader stops working, then the tracks.

Are these issues related, or coincidence? Today I plan to try my tractor battery in the Cat to see if the battery is an issue.

I also cleaned out the belly pan the other day. There was an inch or two of material in there - not sure how much was in there when I bought it vs my minimal usage. All hoses looked to be in good condition to my not-a-mechanic eyes.

Ideas?

/ Cat 259B3 hydraulics and electrical issue - related? #2  
if the oil in the hydraulics is full it would be worth doing a filter change to start

/ Cat 259B3 hydraulics and electrical issue - related? #3  
Your battery may not be the issue - though it could. Charge the battery. Clean the terminals and related connector surfaces. Replace the cables and tighten securely. If you can move it around by hand it's not secure. Follow the ground lead to the frame. Clean and tighten there as well. If you still have starting problems consider having the battery load tested. Even a new battery CAN be bad though usually they are not.

/ Cat 259B3 hydraulics and electrical issue - related?
I swapped the battery for my known-good one in the tractor, and the machine starts fine. The original battery tested bad and wouldn't charge at all, so I replaced it. That helped for almost 2 weeks, then it wouldn't start again. Assuming there might be an electrical drain while the machine is off, I'm going to install a battery disconnect. Can't hurt.

I also replaced the hydraulic filter with one from Cat. The dumb thing I did was that I changed the battery and the filter at the same time instead of changing one thing at a time and watching the results. I know better, but rushed myself. I still have the same hydraulic issue though, and it seems to happen after the machine has been running an hour or more but it's fine after starting cold.