Central Boiler Dual Fuel

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #11  
I have a Central Boiler duel fuel outside wood burner which I have had for 15 + years. I would not recommend putting it in an enclosed area like a garage. I have mine under a roof where I keep it and the firewood. It does let out smoke when you open the door to fill it, not all the time but quite often. If you are planning on using an existing chimney it probably will not work that well as the chimney needs to be a certain size to work well. I don't believe you can buy the duel fuel new anymore at least here in Pa. I use the natural gas to start the wood sometimes and use the gas to heat if the wood supply gets low, both heat the house well. We have radiant floor hear and cast iron hot water baseboard in the house, very nice even heat.
It's dual duel not duel. Duel is 2 people harming each other over some imagined issue.....lol

Reminds me of the often ill used word 'defence', it's 'defense' not defence according to Webster's unabridged dictionary

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel
It's dual duel not duel. Duel is 2 people harming each other over some imagined issue.....lol

Reminds me of the often ill used word 'defence', it's 'defense' not defence according to Webster's unabridged dictionary
The proper use:

Defence around the pasture is barbed wire. Most folks around here call it bob Wire. 1/2 my life I thought it was bob not barbed wire.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #13  
Regarding out door burners, one really, really, really wants one that does not smoke that much. There is one area near us where there are several outdoor wood burners, and if the weather is just right, the smoke in that area is like thick fog. No way is that healthy for the dozens of homes being smoked out by a couple of the burners. A few miles away is another out door burner that is sorta young compared to the ones previously mentioned. The new stove is about 15 years old at this point and does not smoke much at all. The guy built a small structure a short distance from the house which has the outdoor burner. He can load and take the ashes out of the stove while under the roof and store some wood. Seems like a good design.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #14  
Regarding out door burners, one really, really, really wants one that does not smoke that much. There is one area near us where there are several outdoor wood burners, and if the weather is just right, the smoke in that area is like thick fog. No way is that healthy for the dozens of homes being smoked out by a couple of the burners. A few miles away is another out door burner that is sorta young compared to the ones previously mentioned. The new stove is about 15 years old at this point and does not smoke much at all. The guy built a small structure a short distance from the house which has the outdoor burner. He can load and take the ashes out of the stove while under the roof and store some wood. Seems like a good design.

A guy beside a construction site I’m working on has one of those. I heat with a high efficiency wood stove so I’m not anti wood but all I think when I see that old smoldering smoke trap boiler is the epa did right by phasing those out.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #15  
Depends on what design they are. Mine is a gassification design and I kill myself every off season cleaning it. It doesn’t hardly smoke at all. My closet neighbor has a regular firebox design, it smokes considerably more and can cause the fog you mention. Newer designs are so much easier to clean and burn very efficiently. Very expensive tho.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #16  
Depends on what design they are. Mine is a gassification design and I kill myself every off season cleaning it. It doesn’t hardly smoke at all. My closet neighbor has a regular firebox design, it smokes considerably more and can cause the fog you mention. Newer designs are so much easier to clean and burn very efficiently. Very expensive tho.
Yep, it depends on the design and the OP needs to understand the differences in burners that might be out there. I would be kinda surprised if the EPA allows these old burners that smoke so bad. Flip side, I would guess some of the smoking was from how the burner was being operated. Our wood stove only smokes when starting up from a cold state. Once warmed up it does not smoke at all and our stove is 15+ years old at this point.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #17  
I also have a Tarm wood/oil boiler hooked up to a 650 gallon water storage system.
You can set it to automatically switch to oil when needed or do it manually.
It will occasionally smoke when loading wood but I have an extractor fan built into my basement door to remove the smoke quickly.
With the water storage system during shoulder seasons it will continue to heat my home for 3-4 days after the fire goes out and during the cold winter months it will go 18-24 hrs after fire out.
I originally also used it to heat my domestic H2O but after we hooked our home into a net metered solar farm I bought an electric heat pump water heater which is very efficient and scavenges the warm air from the basement to help heat the water and i don't need to build any fires during the 4 months of warm weather we get here.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #18  
My daughter has had a dual ( propane and wood ) exterior boiler burner for 10 yrs now .....I agree with everything Ernematts stated in his post. I would add that if you get cold weather and want to be confident water lines don't freeze from boiler to house , you need to upgrade to a antifreeze formula and its expensive, so my son in law and daughter did not get yet, and so frett on weekends they are away and hope propane kicks on automatically . They get their household hot water in winter from boiler loop into their otherwise electric hot water heater ( used in summer)