Chain clearance on 15 series?

/ Chain clearance on 15 series? #1  

subarctic_moose

Tractor
Branson 3515r
Hi all, I have a 3515r coming this week with a grapple and 64" blower. I have about 600ft of gravel driveway to maintain in the winter and have been looking at rear chains due to the decent slope coming up the last part of the drive. I've only used my neighbors JD970 with a bucket for this job previously (chains on all 4 wheels) and it had no problem getting up and down in the Sierra cement. But right now I'm having trouble finding anyone with a 15 series who's put on chains and can attest to clearance not being an issue. Cheers.

/ Chain clearance on 15 series? #2  
I know it would be an issue on my cabbed version. Thankfully I do not need chains.

/ Chain clearance on 15 series? #3  
Many chain choices out there and not all with the same clearance's needed. A neighbor of mine logs his own land and tractor stays off road-he had to weld chains onto rears to make them work-nother brand of tractor though.

/ Chain clearance on 15 series?
I know it would be an issue on my cabbed version. Thankfully I do not need chains.

One of the dealers up in WA mentioned that he's only heard about issues specifically with the cabs. I wonder if the clearances are different in that case? Sure will be nice once this thing gets delivered and I can just look at it for myself.

/ Chain clearance on 15 series? #5  
Yes, the fenders are different between the ROPS and Cab models.

The ROPS model do have more clearance between the tire and fender. Although with the bigger R4s, it might still be too tight for chain. Just guessing, don't know for sure.

Yes, the fenders are different between the ROPS and Cab models.

The ROPS model do have more clearance between the tire and fender. Although with the bigger R4s, it might still be too tight for chain. Just guessing, don't know for sure.

You seem to be correct, there's maybe just over an inch clearance between the sidewall and the inner fender. Looks like I'll need to investigate wheel spacers.

Ordered 3" Bro-tek spacers this morning. Should be fun to get them on with the tires already loaded, but this will hopefully resolve any clearance issues with the chains. It will also be nice to have the stability for side-hilling with the logs in the grapple (property has a good deal of slope).

Clearance issues solved! Side-hilling is much nicer as well...

IMG_8714.JPG

/ Chain clearance on 15 series? #9  
looks good, how difficult was the install?

Thanks,

Mike

looks good, how difficult was the install?

Thanks,

Mike

Surprisingly easy. The key for me was setting the jack stands rights at ground level where the tires had barely enough room to rotate freely. Working them off the studs wasn't as difficult as I thought given the weight of filled tires. The actual spacer install was very straightforward and I used the shovel trick to get some lift on the wheels to sit them back on the studs.

Whole process was under two hours and someone more competent could do it in under one. Hardest part was actually loosening the factor lugs, had to buy a 18" flex wrench to get the necessary leverage.