Changing a bearing seal on a King Kutter Rotary Mower

/ Changing a bearing seal on a King Kutter Rotary Mower #1  

AndyF

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200 & B7200
Our 6' KingKutter Rotary Mower needs a new seal on the gearbox. We've taken the blades off and haven't been able to get the Stumpjumper/blade carrier off the shaft. The shaft looks like a splined shaft. We don't see signs of a pin holding the blade carrier onto the shaft. So far we can't get the blade carrier to budge. We've tried hammering it off, using a pry bar to lever it off and finally my son made a puller with a 7/8-9 screw which he welded onto the blade carrier to try to drive the blade carrier off and even with a large cheater he was unable to get the carrier to budge.

What's the trick here? About the only thing we haven't tried is using a rosebud to heat the heck out of it while trying to pound it off.

/ Changing a bearing seal on a King Kutter Rotary Mower #2  
Put a lot of presure on the puller and a lot of heat on the stumpjumper. It will come loose.

ron

/ Changing a bearing seal on a King Kutter Rotary Mower
Well I put enough pressure on the puller to tear the stumpjumper apart and didn't even move it a little bit on the splined shaft. The next step will be to get the torch out and finish cutting the sheetmetal portion of the stumpjumper off and see what I can do to get rest of it off. It isn't looking good right now for even being able to salvage the gearbox.