Changing from industrials to turfs

/ Changing from industrials to turfs #1  

Dfletche86

Tractor
Mahindra 24 max hst
I have a Mahindra max 24 hst; it currently has industrial tires: front are 20x8-10 and rear are 27x12.5-15

the turf tire size in the owners manual are the same in front and the rear are 29x12.5-15

the turfs will fit that rim in the back right? I’m just worried that because the diameter of the rear tire is 2” more, it will screw with the 4wd system, as the ratio between front and back are different with turfs vs industrials.

thanks

/ Changing from industrials to turfs #2  
I had the same concern. I would like to go from R4 to R3 tires, but the R3s are 2" shorter for the rear and the same in the front. Some here told me that it wouldn't have any harsh effect on the driveline, and since those sizes are factory options I assume they are correct. Obviously there's going to be a small amount of binding, the math bears that out. But I suppose it doesn't hurt anything.

/ Changing from industrials to turfs #3  
You don't know the perfect ratio to match the gearing. Maybe it is somewhere between the two tire sizes.

/ Changing from industrials to turfs #4  
You don't know the perfect ratio to match the gearing. Maybe it is somewhere between the two tire sizes.
There is a 5% leeway for tire sizing from the manufacturer for roll out specs.

/ Changing from industrials to turfs #6  
Have a really close look at the rims. The rims that I have seen for industreal tires are totally different in the bead seating area than the same size rim for a turf tire.

/ Changing from industrials to turfs #7  
The 16.5 size rim is a heavy duty industrial rim and yes it is different than the 16" wheel. I haven't noticed any differences in any tire sizes other than 16.5. Easy to see as there isn't a flat shoulder where the bead seats. It appears that air pressure alone holds the tire against the rim. No shoulder on the rim for the tire to get-up-on for a good seal at low pressures.

I had OEM 4 ply, 16.5 rim, R4s on my little 24 hp Branson and had a very harsh ride. I thought going to a 4 ply turf would give me a softer sidewall.......fat chance. I had to order then and bought sight unseen. At $250 each plus freight, had I known what I learned upon receipt, I'd have passed on that waste of money.