Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV?

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #1  

phiferpharm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45se HST - Rhino 660 4X4 - Snapper Pro ZTR - Craftsmen Chipper/Vac
I spent the weekend putting together a Chicken pen. Good news is it was fun to build, bad news is I need two draft horses to move it around. Any ideas on the best way to mount some removable wheels on it?

Attachments

• ark_build01.jpg
    ark_build01.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 531
  • Ark_finished.jpg
    Ark_finished.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 461
   / Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #2  
Most I 've seen have one axle mounted across one end at ground level with wheels. Lift the handle end and pull it to where you want it either by hand or with a machine. Chickens can 't get out of small space left between rig and ground unless you us Hugh wheels.

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV?
Makes sense. I Think I'll try attaching a pipe and run the axle through that to the wheels. I'm thinking the wheels I have on my mower deck may work okay. They are not too tall and wide..

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #4  
Makes sense. I Think I'll try attaching a pipe and run the axle through that to the wheels. I'm thinking the wheels I have on my mower deck may work okay. They are not too tall and wide..

Nice coup. I'd put wheels on both ends using the approach you're taking. Mount axle so the wheels hold it up an inch or two off the ground then you can just push it around. Picking up one end of that thing isn't going to be any lighter with wheels on the other end than it would be with a human on the other end.

Nice coup. I'd put wheels on both ends using the approach you're taking. Mount axle so the wheels hold it up an inch or two off the ground then you can just push it around. Picking up one end of that thing isn't going to be any lighter with wheels on the other end than it would be with a human on the other end.

Thanks. It isn't light for sure, but it does help to take off the sides. I also split the sides so that each quarter panel is easier to handle. I put weatherstriping where the two panels meet to help keep the weather out. I think I'll try the wheels on one end, but I do have spares if I need to rig both sides.

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #6  
If your ground is level enough, place the axle at the mid point. Like the carts at a lumber store.

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #7  
too much hard work :( that's why I own a tractor :thumbsup: :D actually I hope to build one of those someday and I wouldn't want to tear up my yard with the tractor either. I'd use large wheels but mount 'em high. Larger wheels roll easier.

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #8  
any old kids bike -- usually plenty at the landfill -- would give you two decent size tires. i would think bigger tires would make it easier to push.

/ Chicken Ark - Any suggestions how to make it an RV? #9  
Most I 've seen have one axle mounted across one end at ground level with wheels. Lift the handle end and pull it to where you want it either by hand or with a machine. Chickens can 't get out of small space left between rig and ground unless you us Hugh wheels.

Plan to push it rather than pull it. I had a similar set up, and the chickens would all run to the opposite side of the pen when I lifted up on one end. The result was a lot of fragile little legs being bumped by the bottom of the frame when I pulled it. Pushing is slick because the chickens just run along on the far end of the rig as it moves along.

Plan to push it rather than pull it. I had a similar set up, and the chickens would all run to the opposite side of the pen when I lifted up on one end. The result was a lot of fragile little legs being bumped by the bottom of the frame when I pulled it. Pushing is slick because the chickens just run along on the far end of the rig as it moves along.

Well I kind of hedged my bet on this by making a removable bottom that can be hooked up to the body of the ark. It is basically framed 2/2's with corner braces the Ark can slip into. I have been in Miami for the past week, so I'm sure I'll hear from Grandma whether it is working okay or not over the weekend.