Cigarette Lighter

/ Cigarette Lighter #22  
I am interested in installing a cigarette lighter on my tractor. I do not plan on smoking! It may be nice to charge a phone while working.

Has anyone ever added a cigarette lighter to a tractor without a cab.
I have installed USB charge ports on all my equipment including tractors, backhoe, dozer and a John Deere Gator. Tractors have cabs but Dozer is open as well as Gator. The charge ports I installed have covers for the USB outlets so they are pretty protected from the weather - haven't has any problem with them on the dozer and Gator. I purchased
2 different types on eBay - approx $12 each and free delivery. The one style requres drilling a hole - the other will fit in an existing rocker switch opening if you happen to have a blank switch cover with no switch in it. They also have a voltmeter that shows the vehicle battery voltage.
usb1.jpg
usb2.jpg

/ Cigarette Lighter #23  
It is a proven fact that almost 100% of the people that died in the last 50 years either smoked or were exposed to second hand smoke at some point in their lives.

Also they all drank water.

Can't tell which contributed to their death.
Smoking eventually killed my father, but it took it 15 years of suffering and gradual deterioration to do it. I never wanted to smoke, because I sat next to Dad at the kitchen table growing up. His smoke would drift my way, and I absolutely hated it. Could never understand why people would subject themselves to the stuff if they had a choice.
Now, at 74, I am in considerably better health than he was at my age. At least I can get up out of my bed without assistance. Oh, and I drink water from the same well he did every day...

/ Cigarette Lighter #24  
I am interested in installing a cigarette lighter on my tractor. I do not plan on smoking! It may be nice to charge a phone while working.

Stay away from the cheap ones. I added one to our IH 424 some 25-30 years ago with the idea of powering a light if I needed it. It lasted a few months, but after working the tractor in the rain a few times the receptacle just corroded too much to work any more. Wasn't worth the trouble to replace it for just a few more months.

/ Cigarette Lighter #25  

Yup. They make Marine ones with rubber-like caps. I put one on my tractor so I can run my little dremel-like chain sharpener. I also have a work light on the ROPS that plugs into it when needed. Too lazy to put in a switch, lol.

/ Cigarette Lighter #26  
I’ve installed several over many years and I always make sure to use #12 copper wire color coded for the application, the grounding of the receptacle is mandatory and I usually wire it hot to the battery. This makes using a battery maintainer easier.

/ Cigarette Lighter #28  
   / Cigarette Lighter #29  

put one with a UBS port and lighter, but like one person said the lighter well vibrate out, my beacon came out all the time pointing less pointing up, l just put into a live wire under the dash to a toggle has worked good for 14 years

/ Cigarette Lighter #30  
Never had the need to charge a phone , but both tractors and the tow-behind generator now have "flat two" trailer type connectors on them for powering other things. The 12V pump on the diesel storage drum, sprayer, additional magnetic work light, aux strobe, etc all can be plugged in as needed.

EDIT TO ADD: Disclaimer - even though the L4240 has a flat two (gets used for refueling) I do use the factory cig outlet to power the sprayer. It's handy to run the sprayer cord with an inline swich through the back window. It's the cat's nuts for spraying large areas.

Last edited: