Cleaning out a boom sprayer

/ Cleaning out a boom sprayer #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Picked up an old trailered boom sprayer I plan to use to haul water to my garden. I have no idea of it's history, gentleman who owned it was 90 when he passed several years ago and he was the last known user so it likely hasn't been used in years. The pump was removed and the bottom had three different holes in it I assume where the pump fed/emptied in the tank. Tank was completely dry when I pooped the hatch without odor of any kind. I cut two hoses to get the booms off for transport home and there was liquid in the hoses but didn't smell or have any type of texture so I believe it was just accumulated water.

So cleaning it, I'm thinking just soap and water a couple times and call it good? Like I said, just wanted an easier way to haul a bunch of water for the garden and maybe give the pigs some mud when it's hot.

Thoughts?
282DA643-9C2F-4192-89FE-3C8CD9698D65.jpeg

/ Cleaning out a boom sprayer #2  
Most farmers will use ammonia to clean out the sprayer so there isn't any residue. Sprayers are expensive and are usually taken care of (cleaned after use). I don't see a problem with your plan...

If you can hit it with a hot water pressure washer, that might be better...

Last edited:
   / Cleaning out a boom sprayer #3  
Actually ammonia is usually the recommended cleaner for sprayers, of course DO NOT MIX with Clorox. I agree with the pressure washer, with any kind of soap. Trying to rinse a tank without the agitator pump is hard. Before using it on the garden, put some of the water on clover. If there is any broadleaf herbicide it should affect the clover. Better clover than the wife's tomatoes.

/ Cleaning out a boom sprayer #4  
Exellent idea about puting rinse water on clover to see if braodleaf herbs are present.

/ Cleaning out a boom sprayer
Thanks all. Got her all cleaned up and in operation. Obviously removed a lot of hardware.
B7D18A25-CDFC-417D-8B24-E5ED690E62E4.jpeg
90221BA7-EA9F-4161-877A-64F0A6579AB3.jpeg
969E982F-70AC-4FDD-91DF-5C0AED700E89.jpeg

3DC9C6BE-A457-4BAA-8760-0C4D9435F8B1.jpeg

Now if the tires will get me through this summer I’ll be a happy man.

/ Cleaning out a boom sprayer
400, tank will probably still be sitting in a field long after that frame and I am gone. Pretty thick stainless.