Computer Backup Services

/ Computer Backup Services #41  
You can always encrypt the data that you send to online storage.

The problem with online storage is cost. When you can buy a 1TB USB drive for under $100 you could easily encrypt that files on the USB drive and give it to a family member, put in the bank box, or take to work. The drive might not be as accessible as online but it would certainly be secure. :)

This discussion to get me thinking. :D I think with the XMAS sales about to start I will buy some archival quality DVDs and some more USB drives. I have been storing the DVDs offsite but I think I will take my own advice and store the USB drives offsite as well. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Computer Backup Services #42  
[FWIW]
An alternative to more expensive online storage is a hosted server...

If you want remote storage (online) that is available anywhere you do not have to pay the back up companies...you can create your own...

for as little as $5/month you can use a hosted server account (the same type of server that could be used to host a web site) many offer unlimited capacity...all you need is an FTP client to upload your files (much faster than standard HTTP which is what most back-up companies use)...You can use the same state of the art protection methods as any entity on the Internet...
Even if you do not have or want a domain name you can access your account using an IP address (that only you will have)...

a few advantages:

>many hosts offer free back ups (of your back ups)

> it's easy to create an online photo gallery to save, store or share pictures

> your files can be stored above or below the "http_docs" directories so they may or may not be available (your choice) via a web browser...which can also be password protected

> with most hosted server accounts you are also given your own personal mail server as well as an MYSQL database

using FTP you can automate your back up schedules from your Windows desktop...

/ Computer Backup Services #43  
This has been an interesting thread as it is just what I need to do. Only problem is when I read most of what is available, my brain haywires and I do not know what anyone is talking about. Is there a device I can just plug into my computer, press one key, and have my entire , whatever is on my computer copied to this device without picking thru files?

/ Computer Backup Services #44  
yes, online backup -- after the initial set up you don't even have to press a button.

/ Computer Backup Services #45  
also -- I asked Carbonite about there backup and redundancy-- their answer:

Hello Neilly and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

Currently we operate two data centers at two different major co-location facilities. The centers include security, redundancy fiber entry, and redundant backup power. For security reasons, we do not reveal our providers or specific locations. We use RAID storage technology combined with SMART technology to predict possible disk failures. We also perform regular integrity checks of your backup, to ensure that the files in your backup match what's on your computer.