Connecting into an exisitng FEL system

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system #1  

Pattymoo

I have a Kubota L245 DT which already has the hydraulics plumbed for a FEL although the forks and rams were removed prior to me purchasing the tractor. I now want to attach a ram operated log splitter using the rear supply (tipper valve) from the pump but for the tank return I want to use the valve block from the FEL to connect up to take the return.

Currently the tank return from the FEL valve is piped directly from the transmission filler cap and with the exisitng pipe work I thought the best way to get the return from the log splitter into the tank is via the FEL valve block.

It currently has three quick release connectors. Two are female and one is male. I can't work out from the block which would take the return? Which connector do I need to connect to to get the return to flow back to the tank? Anyone has any help then I'd be grateful? I don't want to connect to the wrong port and screw up my pump or ram!

Thanks

PM

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system #2  
I have a Kubota L245 DT which already has the hydraulics plumbed for a FEL although the forks and rams were removed prior to me purchasing the tractor. I now want to attach a ram operated log splitter using the rear supply (tipper valve) from the pump but for the tank return I want to use the valve block from the FEL to connect up to take the return.

Currently the tank return from the FEL valve is piped directly from the transmission filler cap and with the exisitng pipe work I thought the best way to get the return from the log splitter into the tank is via the FEL valve block.

It currently has three quick release connectors. Two are female and one is male. I can't work out from the block which would take the return? Which connector do I need to connect to to get the return to flow back to the tank? Anyone has any help then I'd be grateful? I don't want to connect to the wrong port and screw up my pump or ram!

Thanks

PM

You could just tee into the FEL return at the tank fill. This is what I did to add rear remotes to my B7100. The line to the front of the tractor is the return from the FEL, and the line back under the seat is the return from the rear remote valve.
IMG_0131.jpg

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system
Thx Jas - You've done a very neat job of this from the picture. I was trying to avoid this if I can but its clearly the fall back if I can't use the existing set up. I'm 6'5" tall and the tractor has a full cab and I'd like to avoid another pipe for me to snag my leg on when getting in & out of the cab!

As I don't have the FEL I was hoping just to use the quick releases to create a circuit for the splitter?

PM

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system #4  
Make yourself a 3000 psi gage set-up to plug into the QD, putting the tee and QD's in-line. You can plug into each one of them and check for pressure. You can use this gage to trouble shoot just about all hydraulic problems.

Male QD--nipple--tee with gage--nipple--Female QD. Solid set-up

Male QD-12 in pipe thread hose--tee with gage--nipple--Female QD fitting. Flexible set-up

If you want to make test ports, pick a good location and install a tee with a male QD fitting as the test port. Put in as many as you like.

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system #5  
You could just tee into the FEL return at the tank fill. This is what I did to add rear remotes to my B7100. The line to the front of the tractor is the return from the FEL, and the line back under the seat is the return from the rear remote valve.
IMG_0131.jpg

Jas, I sure hope you don't have any of those galvanized plumbing fittings on the pressure side of your setup :eek: Those things are only rated for like 150 PSI or so...

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system #6  
Jas, I sure hope you don't have any of those galvanized plumbing fittings on the pressure side of your setup :eek: Those things are only rated for like 150 PSI or so...

Nice catch, Kenny. I was looking at this photo and I didn't realize it at first, but you're right, some of those fittings look like malleable iron and you are right. The max. pressure rating on that stuff is only 150 psi.

/ Connecting into an exisitng FEL system #7  

Good call. I know to use proper hydraulic fittings on the pressure connections Those few on the tank connection are the only ones. I do appreciate the watchful eyes on this site. I, myself spotted some of these "normal" household plumbing fittings in another posters pictures, and they were on the pressure side :eek:

See the pictures that I'm referring to in postings #19 & #20 on the following thread:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/147993-installing-small-front-end-loader-2.html

I quickly sent the person a PM, and responded to the posting, and even included links to the fittings he needed (from surplus center).