Construction of a boom pole

/ Construction of a boom pole #1  

alia176

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
Howdy folks,

I'd like to build a boom pole for lifting things and I have two ways of building this. Currently, I have a blank SSQA plate to which I can weld up a boom pole, similar to what you see the pic below. Mine will be telescopic style.

Or, I can build something around my pallet forks, again, similar to the pic below. I think I'd mount my boom pole higher than the one in the pic. Mine will be telescopic and will be kept as short as possible to take advantage of the lifting capacity.

What are some of the pros/cons to doing it either way? Building either one is straightforward but I'm leaning toward the pallet forks style so that I can leave the SSQA plate for a future project, not sure what as of yet.

I'll be installing an old Belvedere winch in front of the tractor and will be using it to hoist things up in case it is too heavy for the FEL arm to lift it.

Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• boom pole pallet fork.JPG
    boom pole pallet fork.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 121
  • boom pole SSQA.JPG
    boom pole SSQA.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 123
   / Construction of a boom pole #3  
I would copy what has already been done. Exactly. When selling something commercially, it has to be engineered correctly so they don't get sued, but they also want to use as little materials as possible so they can sell it for the lowest price possible and still make a profit.

/ Construction of a boom pole #4  
You loose some capacity using the forks if that might be an issue.

Make it so it can go straight up to avoid obstacles and take up less room parking.

I have built several using just heavy wall 2" tube and never had an issue. But using lighter material, you can immensely improve the strength with just a rib on top or slight triangle framing.