Converting bellcrank to hydraulic drag link steering - MH44 will scuff tires

/ Converting bellcrank to hydraulic drag link steering - MH44 will scuff tires #1  

rectifier

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deutz DX160, IH B-275, Z225 zero-turn
I'm working on fixing up an old MH44, for working use, not show. The steering was sick in many ways - kingpin bushings gone, tie rods badly worn, bushings sloppy on the gearbox and bearings shot on the worm itself.

I decided the simple solution was to fix the kingpins, scrap all that other junk, attach the two pivots with a simple tie rod, and put the hydraulic drag link off an old combine on it. The control pump will sit nicely up by the dash, the ram was almost made to mount to the pivoting undercarriage. Easy to build and easy to steer.

The only problem is that I noticed that all the Ackermann effect on this tractor comes from the bellcrank. There is no toe at all on the steering arms that are attached to the kingpins, and no way to adjust them as they are cast in that shape. This is the only machine I've ever seen with straight 90 degree arms. So, I will be scuffing tires unless I can come up with a way to give this linkage some Ackermann.

Has anyone else done this conversion? Ultimately, off the pavement, does it matter that much? My main concern is that I want to use this as a bale picking/feeding tractor, and scuffing or sideloading tires with a bale on the loader is going to be pretty hard on the rubber, the bearings, and all the linkages.

The only thing I can come up with that's simple is to braze or Ni-rod an old part with a tie rod taper onto the inside of the steering arms, and connect my tie rod to that point giving a little toe in to the linkage.

Last edited: