Coolant issue

/ Coolant issue #1  

javierc90

Tractor
Jcb compact backhoe
Hey there I’m new here I own i job compact backhoe and there is coolant in the hydraulic reservoir and system . Hydraulic filter is really gunky and I can’t seem to pinpoint how it’s crossing . Any ideas?

/ Coolant issue #2  
It may have an oil cooler. Check for that. EGR cooler. Fluid cooler in radiator.

/ Coolant issue #3  
Some vehicles have shared radiator/oil cooler. Most equipment isn’t setup that way but if it was that would be my first guess.

/ Coolant issue #4  
Some vehicles have shared radiator/oil cooler. Most equipment isn’t setup that way but if it was that would be my first guess.

Intercoolers have been around a long time
Automatic transmission cools in radiator.
Jcb could very well do that.

/ Coolant issue #5  
Pretty much a guarantee it will have an oil cooler but when you get a leak there it usually puts the oil into the radiator since the hydraulics are higher pressure than the coolant.

/ Coolant issue
I thought that but it doesn’t seem to have a cooler in radiator

/ Coolant issue #7  
Are you sure that you are getting coolant in the hydraulic fluid? It's more common to get regular old outside water into the hydraulic fluid - real common in fact. A lot of time it comes down the shifters as rain water. Unless you are positive that it is coolant, best thing is to change the hydraulic fluid - maybe requires several changes to get all the water out.

I've used cheap motor oil as a flushing oil when doing that. And you have to change the filter each time too - or clean it out somehow. It's a pain getting regular water out of the hydraulics, but it is easier than any of the coolant-related problems....and for those you still have to get the water out anyway.

The good news is that hydraulics seem to be able to function for months with water in the system and not take significant damage - just not in cold winter.
It can't be good for them, but it isn't a disaster.

Water makes hydraulic fluid look "milky". When there is a LOT of water you start to see strings of slime that can clog a filter.
rScotty