Cub Cadet LT-1050 Blows 20A fuse

/ Cub Cadet LT-1050 Blows 20A fuse #1  

texstrk426

Tractor
John Deere 5105
After changing the engine to transmission drive belt and repairing the steering gear arrangement on my Cub Cadet LT-1050 all appeared to be going OK. Today after about 10 minutes or less of mowing the unit blew the 20A fuse. This kills engine start as well as other things. A new fuse was installed and another 10 minutes of run time resulted in another blown fuse. I found several people who commented online about possible problems that might cause this. I checked the PTO electric clutch wires and everything was OK. The PTO clutch measured about 5 to 6 ohms resistance so normal current would not come anywhere near to blowing the fuse. A couple of people mentioned that the battery posts and connectors should be cleaned. I decided to try that first since it is such an easy thing to do. I completely removed the battery from the mower and cleaned the posts. The ground post was fairly OK, but still did not look its best. The positive post was really corroded and covered with crusty modified grease. It took more time to clean that post. The connectors and the bolts and nuts with star washers were also cleaned. I cleaned the entire exterior of the battery and the mounting shelf where the battery rests in the unit. I reattached the terminal connectors and used some grease to help prevent oxidation. I also cleaned out the fuse holder socket. It had some dirt and grass clippings in it. Re-inserting several fuses had served to clean the contacts already.

I replaced the fuse once more and began to mow. I mowed for about 6 hours and never had a problem again. Clean connections are a must in electrical circuits. When resistance due to corrosion develops it reduces the voltage to any load connected. A given load will draw normal current as long as it receives the voltage it is designed for. When voltage drops, a load tries to do the same work and draws higher current to do the same work as before. This can lead to a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. Clean connections allow maximum voltage to flow to loads from the battery and alternator which places everything in the circuit in proper balance and loads draw the proper current.

Joe

/ Cub Cadet LT-1050 Blows 20A fuse #2  
After changing the engine to transmission drive belt and repairing the steering gear arrangement on my Cub Cadet LT-1050 all appeared to be going OK. Today after about 10 minutes or less of mowing the unit blew the 20A fuse. This kills engine start as well as other things. A new fuse was installed and another 10 minutes of run time resulted in another blown fuse. I found several people who commented online about possible problems that might cause this. I checked the PTO electric clutch wires and everything was OK. The PTO clutch measured about 5 to 6 ohms resistance so normal current would not come anywhere near to blowing the fuse. A couple of people mentioned that the battery posts and connectors should be cleaned. I decided to try that first since it is such an easy thing to do. I completely removed the battery from the mower and cleaned the posts. The ground post was fairly OK, but still did not look its best. The positive post was really corroded and covered with crusty modified grease. It took more time to clean that post. The connectors and the bolts and nuts with star washers were also cleaned. I cleaned the entire exterior of the battery and the mounting shelf where the battery rests in the unit. I reattached the terminal connectors and used some grease to help prevent oxidation. I also cleaned out the fuse holder socket. It had some dirt and grass clippings in it. Re-inserting several fuses had served to clean the contacts already.

I replaced the fuse once more and began to mow. I mowed for about 6 hours and never had a problem again. Clean connections are a must in electrical circuits. When resistance due to corrosion develops it reduces the voltage to any load connected. A given load will draw normal current as long as it receives the voltage it is designed for. When voltage drops, a load tries to do the same work and draws higher current to do the same work as before. This can lead to a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. Clean connections allow maximum voltage to flow to loads from the battery and alternator which places everything in the circuit in proper balance and loads draw the proper current.

Joe
Joe...THIS post saved me after 3 nights of trying to fix my mower! Once I finally got other repairs done fuses were blowing non-stop. Thanks for the lesson to start simple and clean the battery and fuse compartment. It didn't look bad but that did the trick! Thank you!!!!!
Corinna