Cub Problems

/ Cub Problems #1  

dat8r

Okay glad to hear most of you have no problems, I have two, one with the hydrostatic drive on my '74 108, the engagement is getting sloppy and to stop or even slow down you have to shove the thing into reverse.
And now on the new 2155 the deck won't raise went down one day last summer and now it is stuck, can move the height adjustment lever, but the deck stays all the way down.
Any ideas are appreciated, just hate going to the dealers especially since no one around here except Lowes sells them anymore...

/ Cub Problems #2  
I don't mean to sound trivial, but is there a stick or anything blocking the lift linkage? Is it hydraulic or manual lift? If it's hydraulic, does the tractor lug down at all when you try to raise the deck?

/ Cub Problems
No sticks, actually is my dad's tractor, and he is a neat freak so the tractor is cleaned after each use. The lift is manual. His neighbor said there is a break that needs welded, I put the tractor up on blocks last night and couldn't see any breaks, or cracks. Both dad and neighbor are on vacation and wanted to get it fixed, cause the old man doesn't like to spend money on outside repairs. Just thought someone may have experienced the same thing

/ Cub Problems #4  
My 1811 Hydro had the same problem - as I think they are similar here's a suggestion:

Take off the center cover, or access the center of the tractor and you should find a shaft within a shaft with a roll pin in it that the lift arm attaches as well attached to the mower framework.

I had a devil of a time trying to figure this out because of the shaft within a shaft everything looks OK, but when you have the cover off, lift up the mower (try to) and you should see one arm moving and the other one not moving. As a quick fix I had my neighbor tack weld it then I put in the bolt later.

This pin will shear (mine did plowing snow from too much force) so I replaced it with a hardened bolt. It's not easy to get to tho, so good luck.

I don't think they have changed this design over the years but if they have I can't help.

/ Cub Problems #5  
On the 108 - take the center cover off - the swash plate should have a turnbuckle attached which you can take up the play as well enable you to center the action. Also, where the plate attaches to the valve body you can try to remove the c-clip and put a thrust washer bhind this if there is a lot of play.
Other wise take off the swash plate and have the hole welded slightly smaller then file to fit.

The other thing to tighten all linkage points so to minimize play in the system.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out on both new and old.

Carl