Dashboard gauges sticking - PROBLEM SOLVED!

/ Dashboard gauges sticking - PROBLEM SOLVED! #1  

Ruark

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
I posted earlier about how the needles on the gauges of my 4025 would stick at "0" and later start working, after the tractor had run for 5 or 10 minutes. I solved the problem. I got a tip from a guy with a Deere who had the same issue. Here's the deal:

When the tractor isn't running the needle rests against a little post. That post is covered with a black paint. After a while that paint gets sticky. It might be the hot weather, or it might just age, like when books sit on a shelf a long time and stick to the paint. I noticed when I pushed on a couple of needles with my fingertip, I could feel them "pop" loose from the post. It's a very, very light touch, light as a feather, so it doesn't take much to hold them.

I opened it up and very carefully took a razor blade (or scalpel or exacto knife) and scraped the black paint off the post where it touched the gauge needle. Then, just for good measure, I put a tiny bit of silicone lubricant on it. Then I cleaned the glass and carefully put it back together.

Problem solved. No more sticking. Everything works perfectly.

/ Dashboard gauges sticking - PROBLEM SOLVED! #2  
Great idea! Thanks. Ill remember that if the problem happens to me.

/ Dashboard gauges sticking - PROBLEM SOLVED! #3  
Cool. Old timey gauges had a little bumper [ little rubber sleeve or something of that sort ] to kind of cushion the needle against the post. If anyone else has to take theirs apart you might try a little plastic sleeve, with a little drop of glue if it does not fit the post tight.... :)

/ Dashboard gauges sticking - PROBLEM SOLVED! #4  
I posted earlier about how the needles on the gauges of my 4025 would stick at "0" and later start working, after the tractor had run for 5 or 10 minutes. I solved the problem. I got a tip from a guy with a Deere who had the same issue. Here's the deal:

When the tractor isn't running the needle rests against a little post. That post is covered with a black paint. After a while that paint gets sticky. It might be the hot weather, or it might just age, like when books sit on a shelf a long time and stick to the paint. I noticed when I pushed on a couple of needles with my fingertip, I could feel them "pop" loose from the post. It's a very, very light touch, light as a feather, so it doesn't take much to hold them.

I opened it up and very carefully took a razor blade (or scalpel or exacto knife) and scraped the black paint off the post where it touched the gauge needle. Then, just for good measure, I put a tiny bit of silicone lubricant on it. Then I cleaned the glass and carefully put it back together.

Problem solved. No more sticking. Everything works perfectly.
Note to manual writer: Include this in the trouble shooting section!