death of regular cab pickups

/ death of regular cab pickups #351  
I get that, but it makes getting stuff into and out of the back part much harder than with the suicide doors.

My experience is similar to CaseyR's, with used extended cab trucks few and far between. And in the midsized truck category, the double cabs seem to hit the worst of both worlds...a back seat only suitable for children and a so small as to be almost worthless bed.
I really don't miss regular cabs very much, I like the behind-the-seat storage as well as the slightly better legroom of an extended cab.
Yeah, I remember the gas tank behind the bench seat of the regular cab. About all you could fit behind the seat was maybe a jacket, rifle, or shotgun. Nothing more. Everything else either went in the bed or bed toolbox if you had one. I don’t miss those trucks.

/ death of regular cab pickups
you could well be right. i have no personal experience with one. at the time i purchased my '92 beater, i considered Jeep pick up (predecessor to current).
i wasn't sure about the uniframe design, & so glad i went with toyota.

having said that, i'd sure love one of those earlier vintage Jeep pickups, or even IH had a beast
The only domestic US vehicle i've owned was a '70 Scout. wonderful 304 v8 truck engine, under engineered chassis design...

guess my point of starting this thread is i miss those old warriors, still driving one @ 321k original engine. best regards

/ death of regular cab pickups #353  
you could well be right. i have no personal experience with one. at the time i purchased my '92 beater, i considered Jeep pick up (predecessor to current).
i wasn't sure about the uniframe design, & so glad i went with toyota.

having said that, i'd sure love one of those earlier vintage Jeep pickups, or even IH had a beast
The only domestic US vehicle i've owned was a '70 Scout. wonderful 304v8 truck engine, under engineered chassis design...

guess my point of starting this thread is i miss those old warriors, still driving one @ 321k original engine. best regards
Neither the Gladiator or Wranglers are uniframe. They are both body on frame straight axle vehicles. Some of the last. And they ride like it too (I have a Wrangler).

/ death of regular cab pickups #354  
My 2013 F150 has those rear folding doors. They are great for when I am working out in the field and need to get things in and out of the back seat. I would probably have a hard time getting used to the full size doors if I bought a super crew. Also the hauling capacity due to the additional cab weight would force me to buy a trailer. I don't want a 5.5' bed. I can't even lay a rod and reel down in it. To me that is almost useless.

jyoutz

ok that reveals my ignorance. the Jeep pu model i considered in '92 was unibody, & had the solid axle.
i do dirt roads (utility not re) & the stout independent suspension is a good match.
for those that go off roading, rocks, etc i understand the solid axle is preferred.
anyway, hopefully we all can find the right match in an expensive investment

Last edited:
   / death of regular cab pickups #356  
there are numerous examples abroad in Europe & Asia of single cab pickups with extended beds, specialized utility trucks, etc. really unfortunate they are outlawed & unavailable in US

There's still manufacturers offering single cab pickups in the US. They're not outlawed or unavailable. Ford, Chevy and Ram/Fiat all offer single cab 3/4 ton trucks. You might need to find a dealer that sells fleet trucks to businesses instead of just the fancy expensive trucks. I see them pretty often in the west, usually as company trucks.

good point, glad it can still be looked up on market. i probably make over generalizations on what i see. still would like to see more foreign utility truck diversity avail on US markets...i know, our regs make it complicated, regards

/ death of regular cab pickups #358  

jyoutz

ok that reveals my ignorance. the Jeep pu model i considered in '92 was unibody, & had the solid axle.
i do dirt roads (utility not re) & the stout independent suspension is a good match.
for those that go off roading, rocks, etc i understand the solid axle is preferred.
anyway, hopefully we all can find the right match in an expensive investment
I agree. For most uses the independent front axle is better. My Wrangler’s solid front axle does reflect in the ride and it’s a quirky but fun vehicle overall. My truck is much more practical. But driving the Wrangler is a hoot and makes me smile whenever I climb aboard. An old guy’s toy.

/ death of regular cab pickups #359  
The crew cab pickups with 8 foot beds are absolute monsters, and not designed to fit into a single parking lot. I'm OK with them being left out of the half ton market.

I've done pretty well overall with people not messing with stuff in the back of my pickup, but I lost a toolbox at a junk yard in Missouri. And, I had two chainsaws stolen out of the back of my pickup when I did a brief stop at Harbor Freight, during the recent storm cleanup.

The thing is that the aggravation of these petty thefts is far greater than the actual dollar loss. I'd imagine on the black market, the saws would have been worth $25 to $50 each, if that. Nonetheless, it is good to be able to get some stuff locked up inside the pickup.

/ death of regular cab pickups #360  
Yeaa, those toyotas are great, at least they are designed to break in a "nice" way... lol lol