Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #41  
I am just guessing but perhaps there are more regulations as to source, age and storage,etc, for corn meant for farm animal feed that do not apply to "deer corn".

Vernon

Not sure but this sounds the most viable reason to me , Corn was rejected as farm animal feed for mold / toxins etc that are not visible by eye but show on lab tests but maybe some loophole that ok for "wildlife" or maybe just too much mechanical damage /cracking etc "dockage too high" and can be bought for a fraction of the price off farm .

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #42  
It seems to me that the deer corn has less volume than the feed corn the bags look smaller. Maybe the corn is not dried as much therefore you are not getting as much corn for 50lb weight.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #43  
I couldn't believe the prices at the start of this thread for 50 lbs of corn but then realized it was 2006.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #44  
I believe y'all are correct in saying there are no quility control for deer corn. I once set up a viewing/photographing blind for my DIL and deer abruptly slowed in coming and corn piled up under feeder. On a hunch I dumped feeder and poured 2 bags in it. I kept a bucket of corn and offered it to some cows and they smelled but hardly ate any. Cows will hardly eat corn from a rat infested crib and rats will stop after a period because rats dribble urine everwhere they go. Try it for yourself by setting a bucket where rats can get at it and they will stop eating pretty quick.
If a farmer bought bags the cows refused to eat you can bet the feed store would get it back.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #45  
I'm surprised by what corn sold for back in 2006 too!!!! I'm paying twice that today.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #47  
Couple things I've noticed around here. Not much talk about GMO products anymore. It finally soaked in - the human race is GMO. And now the big thing is "ORGANIC". Gotta have some clever advertising twist to keep those folks happy.

I don't know of anybody that feeds corn around here. Any quantity of corn would have to come from you folks back there in the midwest. We feed wheat. Last time I bought a bag of wheat - about 15 years ago - $4.75 for a 50# bag.

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #48  
For a really interesting discussion of the development of agriculture and crop breeding, "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamon
Two more books for perspective:
Return to Resistance: Breeding Crops to Reduce Pestcide Dependence
R. Robinson

Dirt: The Erosion of Civilizations
D. Mongomery

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #49  
I'm surprised by what corn sold for back in 2006 too!!!! I'm paying twice that today.
Sure right about the 2006 prices. And now corn has gone up $1.00/50# bag this week. If it gets any higher I'm going to have to stop feeding the geese. (hmmm - probably a good idea anyway, right?)

/ Deer Corn vs. Feed Corn #50  
Not sure I want my geese hungry, feeding calms down the flock and its fun to have all the geese and ducks chase you around at feeding time.