Diesel Fuel Question

/ Diesel Fuel Question #1  

gardner175

Tractor
Mahindra 4550
I need some operating a diesel tractor wisdom. I own a Tier 4 Mahindra 4550. I've had it for 4 years. This tractor is the only diesel anything I have ever owned or operated. So, even after 4 years I am still needing to learn some basics.

Being isolated this winter with not much else to do I have started going over the 4550 owners manual again trying to pick up more details that I missed the first time. This review has raised a lot of "why" and "how" questions. With that, and my lack of diesel knowledge, I thought I would throw out a few questions (one at a time) to try to tap into your collective expertise.

So, finally, here is my question: The owners manual says; “Arrange fuel purchases such that winter grade fuel are not held over and used in the spring”. Why? What is the problem with using winter grade fuel in the spring? If I use winter grade fuel in the spring, or fuel to which I have added anti gel supplement, what problems will it cause?

Thanks for any education you can help me with.

/ Diesel Fuel Question #2  
Don't see a problem with that. If you use summer grade in winter, could be a problem. Just add some kero if you end up with some summer grade left over.

/ Diesel Fuel Question #3  
I have always wondered that too. Maybe the lubricity isn't as good. You can fix that by adding some. I do anyway, ALWAYS. Protecting Injector and pump from these low sulpher diesels. Check on that before you do it for emmisions stuff. I don't have any.

/ Diesel Fuel Question #4  
Could they be thinking winter diesel to not be #2 diesel with winter additives, but a blend of #1 and #2 diesel ? That may not be the best thing to run all year. #1 has less energy content as well from what I understand.

/ Diesel Fuel Question #5  
Surprised Mahindra stated that in their manual. You can run the winter grade, in the spring and even into the summer. Remember there are two types of "winter diesel". You could have simply the standard diesel with anti gelling additive, and this is just fine for spring and summer time.

Additionally, you could have a mix of #1 diesel and #2 diesel, and with this, you could notice a little power loss, but its tolerable. Just increase lubricity if this is your winter blend.

/ Diesel Fuel Question #6  
How many gallons do you store? If you have 3-6+months worth of fuel on hand, I'd recommend getting some bio-kleen diesel additive to prevent algae from forming due to condensation (O'Reilly has best price around here). Also, keep your tractor tank full whenever possible. That also reduces condensation.

I buy 250 gallons at a time, which lasts me 6-9 months, and I put a quart of cheap transmission fluid (ATF) in the storage tank to help lubricate the injectors.

Don't see any problems using fuel with anti-gel in it in warm weather. (just a waste of the anti-gel additive)

/ Diesel Fuel Question #7  
My understanding, which I can't defend or tell you where it came from, is #1 fuel tended to burn hotter than #2 fuel so it wasn't recommended during the hotter time of year due to causing the tractor to possibly overheat.

/ Diesel Fuel Question #8  
I matter what time of year I always use howes fuel treatment in all my diesels. I will also add a quart of atf in the fuel through the year to help keep fuel system clean and help with living the injectors