disassembling a wood splitter hyd cyl

/ disassembling a wood splitter hyd cyl #1  

P. Stauble

I'm trying to disassemble the hydraulic cylinder on my wood splitter to replace leaking seals. The front retaining piece that the shaft protudes through is not threaded in. It has two aprox. 1/4" holes at 11:00 and 7:00 that I can tap with a hammer and punch and rotate the cap. It also has a 3/16" slit in the cylider wall in the 9:00 position. As the retaining piece is rotated, I see an internal ring (snap?) that rotates with the cap. This internal ring appears to only be about 300 degrees, in other words I can rotate the cap so that I see no part of the ring through the slit. I assume the idea is to line this gap in the ring with the slit and then pull the cap out. What I can't figure out is how to pull the cap out. Any ideas?

/ disassembling a wood splitter hyd cyl #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

There is a retaining wire in the groove, so you need to rotate the cap until you see the end of the wire-then get a pick under it as you turn the cap to feed the wire out of the slit.

/ disassembling a wood splitter hyd cyl
Thanks, sounds logical, although it looks thicker than a wire, more like a piece of steel 3/32" (or more) thick, but I'll give it a try.

/ disassembling a wood splitter hyd cyl #4  
Thanks, sounds logical, although it looks thicker than a wire, more like a piece of steel 3/32" (or more) thick, but I'll give it a try.

I used the term wire very loosely, it is made of steel and it is probably about 3/32", it's got to hold back a LOT of pressure;)