DK 40 Wouldnt shut off

/ DK 40 Wouldnt shut off #1  

84beau

Tractor
Kioto DK40
Newbie tractor owner here, hoping someone can help me figure out my problem
We just bought some property that conveyed with this tractor. Its been running fine until recently. I was using the loader to strip some ground and the PTO brush-hog wouldnt switch on and I had just used it a few minutes prior.
I also noticed this dash indicator warning light was out and the temp gauge was dead but the tractor was still running. I turned the key to shut it off and it wouldnt shut off and kept running. Turned the key again several times and nothing, still running. Scratched my head for a minute and then drove it back to the barn. On the way back to the barn the temp gauge came back online, not overheating, and the warning light came back on, I didnt try the PTO again. I thought maybe a loose wire or something. Parked it and tried to turn it off again and it revved down like it was going to shut off but didnt. Turned the key again and it finally shut off. I let it sit while I looked up what that warning light meant and I know I should have done that when it first came on but didnt. Low coolant. Put some coolant in it, bone dry. Then tried to start it up, nothing. Dead, no nothing. I tried jumping the battery with my truck, nothing. Checked for loose cables, didnt see anything. I'm guessing dead battery? I didnt have my volt meter. Bad battery cables? Possibly starter solenoid or ignition switch? It doesnt sound like its trying to turnover, just dead. I'm hoping based on the tractor not shutting off and the PTO not engaging someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks

/ DK 40 Wouldnt shut off #2  
Newbie tractor owner here, hoping someone can help me figure out my problem
We just bought some property that conveyed with this tractor. Its been running fine until recently. I was using the loader to strip some ground and the PTO brush-hog wouldnt switch on and I had just used it a few minutes prior.
I also noticed this dash indicator warning light was out and the temp gauge was dead but the tractor was still running. I turned the key to shut it off and it wouldnt shut off and kept running. Turned the key again several times and nothing, still running. Scratched my head for a minute and then drove it back to the barn. On the way back to the barn the temp gauge came back online, not overheating, and the warning light came back on, I didnt try the PTO again. I thought maybe a loose wire or something. Parked it and tried to turn it off again and it revved down like it was going to shut off but didnt. Turned the key again and it finally shut off. I let it sit while I looked up what that warning light meant and I know I should have done that when it first came on but didnt. Low coolant. Put some coolant in it, bone dry. Then tried to start it up, nothing. Dead, no nothing. I tried jumping the battery with my truck, nothing. Checked for loose cables, didnt see anything. I'm guessing dead battery? I didnt have my volt meter. Bad battery cables? Possibly starter solenoid or ignition switch? It doesnt sound like its trying to turnover, just dead. I'm hoping based on the tractor not shutting off and the PTO not engaging someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks
Did you remove and clean BOTH battery cables at BOTH ends?
If that does not fix it (I think it will) take your battery to an auto parts store for a free load test.
If the battery is weak or dead, THEN, and only THEN, buy a new battery!
The potential for really BAD news though (engine seized) is the.... "bone dry"..... coolant.

Last edited:
   / DK 40 Wouldnt shut off
Did you remove and clean BOTH battery cables at BOTH ends?
If that does not fix it (I think it will) take your battery to an auto parts store for a free load test.
If the battery is weak or dead, THEN, and only THEN, buy a new battery!
The potential for really BAD news though (engine seized) is the.... "bone dry"..... coolant.
I havent had time to dig into it yet. I'll check the cables and pull the battery and have it tested. I dont think the engine has seized considering it was running fine prior to finally shutting off. It should at least try to turn over right? When I turn the key to start there's nothing. Any idea why it wouldnt shut off?

/ DK 40 Wouldnt shut off #4  
You have at least three problems to address. 1. Dead battery or poor connections to your battery 2. Ignition switch probably has intermittent connections too, so this needs WD40 sprayed into it. Work it in with the key and try turning the switch to help improve connections. 3. Your coolant loss is significant, and needs immediate care. You did not see it earlier, because the battery issue was not giving power to your dash and you missed the overheating warnings. Was the coolant loss related to hose leaks or radiator leaks or even evaporation ??

/ DK 40 Wouldnt shut off
You have at least three problems to address. 1. Dead battery or poor connections to your battery 2. Ignition switch probably has intermittent connections too, so this needs WD40 sprayed into it. Work it in with the key and try turning the switch to help improve connections. 3. Your coolant loss is significant, and needs immediate care. You did not see it earlier, because the battery issue was not giving power to your dash and you missed the overheating warnings. Was the coolant loss related to hose leaks or radiator leaks or even evaporation
The property was purchased in November 2020 and the tractor had been mostly sitting prior to that and only used a handful of times after that, maybe 6-8 hrs total. I noticed the warning light while brush hogging and meant to look up what the light meant. A few weeks later started stripping ground with the loader and oh yeah, that light... I filled up the coolant reservoir and there was a very slow drip in the line where it connects to the reservoir. I plan on fixing that, so most likely not holding fluid and slowly leaked out.
Our ground is very rocky and I may have hit a few rocks a little hard when I was stripping the ground, Im trying to do a food plot. I thought maybe something got jarred.
Never saw any smoke or smelled anything. Tractor not shutting off, PTO not engaging, dead indicator light and temp gauge were first issues, and now not starting.

/ DK 40 Wouldnt shut off #6  
This sounds more electrical than coolant-related to me. It seems that these switches are prone to issues. Squirting some WD 40 may be the first and cheapest way to see if the issue can be solved. I have a DK40SE and had problems with the switch when starting and engaging the fuel shutoff solenoid. Used the WD40 a few times and it solved it. If the tractor has been sitting for a while and not used, the switch which governs all of the electrical operations could be at fault.
Good Luck!

/ DK 40 Wouldnt shut off
This sounds more electrical than coolant-related to me. It seems that these switches are prone to issues. Squirting some WD 40 may be the first and cheapest way to see if the issue can be solved. I have a DK40SE and had problems with the switch when starting and engaging the fuel shutoff solenoid. Used the WD40 a few times and it solved it. If the tractor has been sitting for a while and not used, the switch which governs all of the electrical operations could be at fault.
Good Luck!
Turned out to be a bad ground.
I replaced both battery cables and I'm back in business.
Coolant warning light is still on after filling reservoir, guess it's a bad sensor.
I did the WD40 as well and key isnt sticking at all.
Thanks!!