Backhoe Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review

/ Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review #1  

Dave Canfield

Silver Member
Hi all,
I have determined that if you leave the draft arms installed when you put your backhoe on the tractor, you may want to check the height of the draft arms before operating the backhoe. This is between a DK4210SE cab and a KB2485 backhoe. It may not be an issue for normal draft arms, but it is for extendable arms. I like how I don't have to remove the arms to install the backhoe.
The draft arms will settle down to rest on the backhoe frame over time. This positions the pin for the extendable link right where the swing cylinder will be when the backhoe swings. I may look at making a block of wood to hold the arms up. Otherwise, it is easy to turn off the remote to the backhoe and raise the draft arms. The disadvantage is that raising the arms too high will cause them to try to bend the deck of the operator's platform.
Aside from making sure that the draft arms have not settled, I really like the backhoe. It is not a mini excavator, but then it doesn't cost as much. The frame of the backhoe is definitely the weakest link in the setup. I can feel the seat bumping into the window washer fluid reservoir if I don't use the backhoe lightly. It can still do a lot of digging, but you do have to pay attention to keeping the outriggers firmly on the ground. I am working on developing good operating skills, but I'm not there yet.View attachment 704835View attachment 704836View attachment 704837
20210705_113727.jpg

/ Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review #2  
No problems here. DK45S Cab and 2485 hoe

/ Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review #3  
I have a DK5310 cab, with the 2485 backhoe, I do not have the extended draft links only the normal ones.

I keep my links in the fully up position, so they are no where near the cylinders. I have no issues with them in that position, I did when I tried to in a low position.

as far as the seat hitting the washer reservoir, the seat has multi bolt holes in the bottom so the seat can be positioned in several positions front to back, try mov ing the seat one position toward the back. It does make for less room for the operator, but not too bad, but dill i tight fit. I have a good 4” of space between seat and walked fluid reservoir, yes it does flex and get closer, but it has never hit for me.

I agree the 2485 backhoe has been a good digger for me too, no complaints for a backhoe. Now I need to get a Thumb for it.

/ Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review #4  
The same thing happened to me. CK35 with KB2475 hoe.
I used to stow the 3pt arms above the platform. To gain boot space I started to stow the arms below the deck and had some interference with the swing cylinders as you did.
The solution is to set the 3pt arms where you want them, then lock down the 3pt lowering knob between your legs.

/ Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review #5  
The same thing happened to me. CK35 with KB2475 hoe.
I used to stow the 3pt arms above the platform. To gain boot space I started to stow the arms below the deck and had some interference with the swing cylinders as you did.
The solution is to set the 3pt arms where you want them, then lock down the 3pt lowering knob between your legs.
Good idea about the lock knob yo lock the links in place…….. just remember after you take the backhoe off go release the lock knob by turning CCW, or you might wonder why you draft arms won’t go down even if you stand on them…. Then you will think something is broke…. Until you realize the speed screw is locked in…….. now it never lock it in place anymore, it will save me future headaches.

/ Draft arm to backhoe swing cylinder interference and review
Thanks, I will give the speed control valve a try. I will also adjust the seat. A thumb could be very handy. I like the hydraulic thumb kit from Michigan Iron. Guess I need to start saving up for a thumb in addition to everything else.
I'm also thinking about a narrower bucket. Are there narrower buckets that are longer, so that the volume of the bucket is still fairly large?