Driverless Cars

/ Driverless Cars #621  
While I don't expect them to be ready for for the real world during my lifetime, even if they were I have no interest in owning one. For one thing, I happen to enjoy driving and don't want some machine taking over that. I'm not sure I trust the technology, nor whoever it phones home to, let alone trusting GPS not to take me over some abandoned Class VI road because it thinks it's .06 mi. shorter.
We can't even seem to make a spell checker that works right, do you really want to trust technology to transport you in a vehicle you don't have any control over? I sure don't.

IMHO, this is one of those technologies that's being forced on us because they can. To me all these claims of "millions of lives saved" is bogus. Yes there are stupid people and bad drivers. Why don't we address the real problem instead of forcing more technology on us?
It's called "marketing". We want you to be able to play with your phone, laptop, eat a muffin while drinking coffee.
We continue to offer safety nets for irresponsible behavior but hey, it's all about sales and usage.
Why shouldn't consumers use electronics while driving as so much time is available with people driving.
Opens up an entire, new sales opportunity.
Pretty soon they'll have toasters and microwaves in cars.

/ Driverless Cars
Disruption.....Would be nice to see insurance reduced or even eliminated..... Will insurance companies even exist in the future ?

I've learned not to underestimate the power of lobbyists and Regulatory Capture.....

Recent posts bring me back to where I started on this...... if "somebody" wants to own this activity, then own it 100% !

Then, I could take a high paying job, 3 hours from home, and sleep most of the way there/back. Etc..... That's the point this tech really has value, to me.

Short of that value proposition, where we appear to sit now is owning an autonomous vehicle (even at lower levels) means that while you have handed over Control of a complex task to another entity, you retain virtually all of the Liability. If this Liability does not soon shift to the manufacturer, this reality may be just another vector pushing people to not own autonomous vehicles. Meaning - if you are only a passenger in an autonomous Uber, Waymo etc vehicle, then your liability for it's actions should be zero.

No tech is infallible. Blindly trusting just GPS has caused expensive or even lethal mistakes.

May You Live in Interesting Times....

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #623  
As Tesla repeatedly demonstrates the technology isn't there. Even they admit that if there's no markings on a road their technology doesn't work. So the real question is when will it be ready and what will it look like? I can envision a system for interstate use first. You get on and forget about driving until your exit. The vehicle receives real time data about other cars and road conditions. As that becomes proven then the government will provide money to make it work on major roads. But that'll take time.

/ Driverless Cars #624  
While I don't expect them to be ready for for the real world during my lifetime, even if they were I have no interest in owning one. For one thing, I happen to enjoy driving and don't want some machine taking over that. I'm not sure I trust the technology, nor whoever it phones home to, let alone trusting GPS not to take me over some abandoned Class VI road because it thinks it's .06 mi. shorter.
We can't even seem to make a spell checker that works right, do you really want to trust technology to transport you in a vehicle you don't have any control over? I sure don't.

IMHO, this is one of those technologies that's being forced on us because they can. To me all these claims of "millions of lives saved" is bogus. Yes there are stupid people and bad drivers. Why don't we address the real problem instead of forcing more technology on us?
because you cant fix stupid.....or inconsiderate

Last edited: