E series vs. M series

/ E series vs. M series #1  

TLM

Hello all,
I am on the verge of buying a 5083E, but am wondering what I would be missing compared to the M's. There is another thread on the 5095M that said people who had the E series have been selling them to buy the M's. Why? I will be spraying, light haying (small squares) and moving snow with my new tractor. Please share your thoughts.
Tim

/ E series vs. M series #2  
Can't address the M series, but I love my 5083E. You will want to ballast it down. I have a 1000 pound block that I use with the FEL. Back stays put and the loader is a dream to use. 10' mower--hardly know it is back there

/ E series vs. M series #3  
Hey Guys,

The 5083E is the reason I have a 5000 series tractor. About a year and a half ago I was all set to sign the cheque for a 4720 when the salesman casually mentioned he could get me into a 5083E for about the same money as the 4720 I was looking at. They had one, I test drove it, and all interest in the 4720 was gone. Excellent cab, loads of power, proven rugged and reliable powertrain, and surprisingly nimble for a machine of this size; I believe this has to be one of the best deals on a cabbed tractor in this class. However they also had a 5M there that I tested as well and after tons of pondering and testing I bought the 5M.

/ E series vs. M series #4  
I am on the verge of buying a 5083E, but am wondering what I would be missing compared to the M's.
Tim,
I've just "been there, done that." I bought the 5085M. I was looking for a cab tractor. The deluxe cab on the M sold the tractor.
As for what you would be missing, here's a few:
E has tilt steering, M has tilt and telescoping steering.
E has a 12x12 power reverser transmission, my M has a 16x16 power reverser.
E has a mechanical 3-point hitch, my M has the optional electrohydraulic hitch. (with outside controls for ease in hooking up implements)
E has top link draft sensing, M has lower link draft sensing.
The E is the Chevy and the M is the Caddy. ;) Or for those of us that prefer the blue oval, the E is the Ford and the M is the Lincoln. :D
There's nothing wrong with the E series. If you can live without the comfort and convenience of the M, the E would probably be fine for you.

/ E series vs. M series #5  
I was told the E series is not built on a frame and the M series is. Is this true?

/ E series vs. M series #6  
I also am finding that though there's a big difference in price between the various JD series when they are new, its quite different once they get a few years old with some hours on them. Then just like depreciation the difference in price between the M and E isn't anywhere near as big as when they were both new.

/ E series vs. M series #7  
I was told the E series is not built on a frame and the M series is. Is this true?

Yes. I have a 2018 5100M cab and a 2019 5075e OS. The m is a mid frame tractor whereas the e series is connected via the transmission/engine. This makes the m less suseptable to torquing problems than the e. Both are great machines though the m is a big step up in features and $.

/ E series vs. M series #8  
I wish I needed a 5115M as badly as I want one.....

/ E series vs. M series #9  
I looked at a 65-70hp JD - M series when I upgraded. I just could not justify the extra $$$$ and went with my Kubota M6040 - open station. I have never regretted my decision.

/ E series vs. M series #10  
I looked at a 65-70hp JD - M series when I upgraded. I just could not justify the extra $$$$ and went with my Kubota M6040 - open station. I have never regretted my decision.

Same for me when I bought my M9540. JD was $7K higher. The JD salesman said if it was his money he'd buy the Kubota. But I still really like the 5M JDs.