E7NN11N501AB switch help on Ford 5000

/ E7NN11N501AB switch help on Ford 5000 #1  

snowcrash

Tractor
nh tl90a, ford 5000, mf 231, ford 2000 & 4000 and some others
I know this is totally different than my other topic but I'm going to be putting a glow plug/thermostat heater on our Ford 5000 and need some help with the E7NN11N501AB switch.

After doing some searching, I've found some stuff on how to wire it I believe but I was wondering if somebody could explain how the switch works for the glow plug/heater.

The way I see it messing with it.

Positions:
1 - Off
2 - One click
3 - Second click
4 - Seems like it is the part of the switch that would crank it and spring back but seems like it has a lot of movement in this postion, but the spring is very tight, probably since it's new.

Here is a post I found on here from Larry I believe,
Here are the contacts vs key position:
Key position starting all the way CCW

Key Position 0 - 4
0 - OFF (no connection) except +12 to pin 1 of the switch
1 - (1 click CW) Pin 1+2 (Tractor lights and gauges only)
2 - (2 clicks CW) Pin 1+2+4 (Delco Alternator 12SI field energize) + Tractor power, lights, gauges + any accys).
3 - (3 clicks CW Spring return back to 2) 1+3 (Glow Plugs only)
4 - (4 clicks CW Spring return back to 2) 1+3+5 (start+glow plugs)

I still can't figure out how my switch operates the heater.

Comparing his info to mine, I don't have 3 and 4 clicks unless you are just imagining how far the switch is going when turning the key.

The only thing I can think at the moment is that when you turn the key past the 2nd click, you are in the spot of the switch that has the spring and if you turn it so far, you will heat the heater up and if you keep turning it past that point then you will engage the starter?

If the switch would have been more than what it was, I'd never bought it and just ran a push button for the heater but if this switch will work and not be too difficult to operate, I'd rather use it. I was thinking this switch might be like the one on my cousins little Kubota where you turn the switch back to the left past off to pre-heat and then turn back to start to crank but it wasn't.

Thanks for your help once again.

/ E7NN11N501AB switch help on Ford 5000 #2  
Here is a post I found on here from Larry I believe,
Here are the contacts vs key position:
Key position starting all the way CCW

Key Position 0 - 4
0 - OFF (no connection) except +12 to pin 1 of the switch
1 - (1 click CW) Pin 1+2 (Tractor lights and gauges only)
2 - (2 clicks CW) Pin 1+2+4 (Delco Alternator 12SI field energize) + Tractor power, lights, gauges + any accys).
3 - (3 clicks CW Spring return back to 2) 1+3 (Glow Plugs only)
4 - (4 clicks CW Spring return back to 2) 1+3+5 (start+glow plugs)

The only thing I can think at the moment is that when you turn the key past the 2nd click, you are in the spot of the switch that has the spring and if you turn it so far, you will heat the heater up and if you keep turning it past that point then you will engage the starter?

Exactly. When thermostart is activated in position 3, the dash lights go out, but the starter is not engaged. There is no detent for this position.

/ E7NN11N501AB switch help on Ford 5000 #3  
Hope this works;

Attachments

• Ignition Switch.pdf
    28.6 KB · Views: 842
   / E7NN11N501AB switch help on Ford 5000
Thanks a lot guys, that all makes sense. I figured that was the only way it could be but I wanted to make sure but I also wanted to make sure that the heater ran in one of the indents of the switch. Knowing us if that was the case, we'd leave the heater on all the time, but this switch will work out nice for us.

I'm just wondering, but could I put a light if I wanted to on the tractor to know we are pre-heating, or when you turn the switch to the heater position, the battery and oil lights going off(dash lights) should be sufficient enough to tell us we are pre-heating the tractor.

thanks and happy thanksgiving!!!!