Electric fan/grass filter mods

/ Electric fan/grass filter mods #1  

MrWinkey

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3725 Cab
Anybody try switching to an electric fan? I was mowing a neighbor's field and my radiator/ac condenser hydrostat kept plugging up with reed grass dander. I ended up stopping mowing like 6 times to clean as the grill and rad screen was packed full. I was thinking I might try an electric setup. I've heard some bigger tractors have a reversible fan to blow the chaff and fuzz back out. Seems like it would help in winter when plowing also.

/ Electric fan/grass filter mods #2  
Sounds like a project worthwhile taking on!

/ Electric fan/grass filter mods #3  
I've seen reversible fans on heavy equipment. I've also seen compressed air tubing grids across the back of radiators and coolers that can blow air back through the cooler from an on board air system.

But this was on high dollar heavy equipment, not SCUTs and CUTs.

A reversible electric fan sounds interesting.

I sure hate the down time from stopping to blow out my radiator and coolers while mowing.

/ Electric fan/grass filter mods #4  
You need to know what the CFM of the engine driven fan is and then see if you can find an electric fan of similar CFM. I doubt you will find one. If you do find one. Do you have enough alternator reserve to power it? Is it reversible? The reversible fans in larger equipment is hydraulically driven. Easy to do but expensive.
Be interesting to see what you find.

/ Electric fan/grass filter mods #5  
Sometime ago, I did came trough an ad for a Branson 3510 (if I recall correctly) and noticed an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator.

I assume the owner would simply turn the engine off, and run the electric fan for a couple seconds, which pulled air the opposite way of the engine fan and, again, I assume it would clear the radiator. I can only see it doing a decent job.

However, it was an older ROPS model and 12x12 transmission, so no HST cooler or condenser for the AC.