Electronic Ignition for Gasoline tractors ( Pertronix )

/ Electronic Ignition for Gasoline tractors ( Pertronix ) #11  
Had 2 tractors that ended up in my herd,---- neither ran, problem???? that electronic crap was junk! --Put both of them back to good old stock points and never looked back! That electronic crap seeeemes to work on cars because that is what is is designed for ---just dont work on ALL tractors! Too expensive and troublesome for me to have around!

/ Electronic Ignition for Gasoline tractors ( Pertronix )
His point is to many times EI is put on to cover up other issues with a worn engine. I like EI and think it has its place but I will not have it on a tractor of mine. I have had conversations with to many folks that have converted from points to EI and have been left with a sitting tractor when the EI failed. One man I spoke with last year was installing his 4th after the 3rd one had failed on a machine that he installed new wiring and made a good clean install, yet they still failed.

Anyone who can read and understand the wear on a set of points can have a very reliable ignition system. A system that if something should go wrong in the field that can generally be fixed good enough to get back to the barn with a simple screwdriver instead of being stuck in the field with a burned out part. The art of setting points ignition systems is a lost skill like so many other things now days, done right points will run for years without issue. Plus I can keep a spare set on hand and/or replace several sets of $10 points for the cost of one failed EI.
Hey John0829 ! That's to bad for your friend hopefully he has gotten his money back, As they do offer a 30 month guarantee.I run Pertronix in 3 classic automobiles ,1 of my tractors & I've installed them on a boat with a I/O I did sell the boat & the owner is a friend of mine! Not 1 failure on these apps. & my friend who bought the boat installed 1 on his Oliver 10 years ago no failures! & I've set more points than I care to remember or want to & if points where so great why is every engine manufacture no longer using them including small engines ! Also Pertronix states clearly to keep your points parts in case the Pertronix does not work with your ignition system & I will agree with You & RickB it shouldn't be used on failing or poorly maintained piece of equipment ! As the saying goes you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig & I agree again with You & RickB this should not be used as a band aid.& this is a alternative to those who want E-I & not points.

/ Electronic Ignition for Gasoline tractors ( Pertronix )
Had 2 tractors that ended up in my herd,---- neither ran, problem???? that electronic crap was junk! --Put both of them back to good old stock points and never looked back! That electronic crap seeeemes to work on cars because that is what is is designed for ---just dont work on ALL tractors! Too expensive and troublesome for me to have around!
Hey good for You! But You are wrong on the apps. & to make that statement is truly bias & misinformed.

/ Electronic Ignition for Gasoline tractors ( Pertronix ) #14  
The only application where I've seen a Pertronix completly fail is on a pumping unit. They run 24/7 in the summer in an irrigation application and after several years one failed. I've also had to repair a Pertronix where all the magnets fell out. I found all of them inside the distributer and scotch tape held them back in place. Other than thise two instances they have been a very reliable conversion. In my less than humble opinion that sure beats setting points on a regular basis.