Engine design affects starting

/ Engine design affects starting #31  
Different entirely. Heaters for intake air. They are not in the precombustion chamber. Glow plugs do not survive in a direct injection combustion chamber.
Quite wrong, most DI engines of modern design have glow plugs direct in to the cylinder. A picture of a k9k 1.5 dCI used by Nissan/Renault, same as have owned several of and this is a very typical small diesel engine for smaller cars, a 1.5l in a range of 70 to 110hp.

View attachment 687049

Attachments

• 5aa2229a7457b.jpg
    5aa2229a7457b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 83
   / Engine design affects starting #32  
No, many "use to be" direct injection, the pre chambers came along with emission BS.

SR

JD 1010/2010 diesels had pre-combustion chambers where glow plugs & injectors were installed back in 1960-1965

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-19 172507.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-19 172507.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 74
   / Engine design affects starting #33  
Glad I started this thread. I have learned more about diesel engine design than I expected.

I'm glad you started it too. But just remember that what you get online is often opinion built around bias rather than facts based on science. So take it with a grain of salt.

There are lots of ways to heat an incoming charge to make it affect starting. Heating the charge in the manifold has been around for a long time. Also, indirect injection with and without various shapes of precombustion chambers and with or without glow plugs has been around for 50 years or more. The even simpler direct injection has been around even longer - also with and without glow plugs.

There are other even older methods - like hot bulbs. Injection itself can take place over a huge range of pressures and nozzle types.

A good designer can make just about any design work. As for glow plugs themselves, I've found them to be really durable even when they live right there in the combustion chamber. Most of my problems with glow plugs turned out to be problems with the high amperage wiring and relays that they require.
enjoy,
rScotty