Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #1  

Username Taken

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 HST
I looked and I can't figure it out. Maybe I'm just not real smart but at what HP do the EPA catalysts, DEF requirements, soot filters, regens, etc, ad nauseam start to kick in.

Thanks for the help.

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #2  
Folks have posted on here that the tier 4 requirements start above 25 hp. Think that gets you into DEF, etc. unless on Mahindra, which use some other means to control the soot.

Ralph

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #3  
Under 25HP, tractors can meet the requirements without exhaust aftertreatment.

From 25 up to 75HP, they use DPF's and some use EGRs as well.

Above 75HP, DEF is also used along with DPF, EGR and all that stuff.

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #4  
Under 25HP, tractors can meet the requirements without exhaust aftertreatment.

From 25 up to 75HP, they use DPF's and some use EGRs as well.

Above 75HP, DEF is also used along with DPF, EGR and all that stuff.

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions
Folks have posted on here that the tier 4 requirements start above 25 hp. Think that gets you into DEF, etc. unless on Mahindra, which use some other means to control the soot.

Ralph

Thanks. I was wondering whether they have a particulate filter, a oxidation catalyst, EGR valve, etc.

I hear they force the idle RPMs up pretty high. I guess EPA thinks that helps -- something.

Just curious more than anything. Trying to decide.

I've had my run-ins with EPA mandated stuff and, let me tell you -- It ain't cheap to fix and/or replace and/or delete. Believe it.

Thanks for the reply

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #6  
Thanks. I was wondering whether they have a particulate filter, a oxidation catalyst, EGR valve, etc.

I hear they force the idle RPMs up pretty high. I guess EPA thinks that helps -- something.

I've had my run-ins with EPA mandated stuff and, let me tell you -- It ain't cheap to fix and/or replace and/or delete. Believe it.

Thanks for the reply

Stay tuned.

Things will get worse rather than better.

SDT

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #7  

Depends on the brand, and the year of mfg.

If they are equipped with a particulate filter then they go through regeneration cycles. If an oxidation catalyst, then regeneration is going on continuously. Both work best if the engine is working hard, i.e. keeping the rpms up, to keep the exhaust really hot and burning off the soot.

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions #8  

Thanks for the reply

JD/Yanmar seem to run the idle speeds up. Whereas, Kubotas seem to be able to stay at 1,000. For instance, "idle" speed on the 1025R was 1600 and is 1300 of the 2025R.

Ralph

/ Engines and Their Smog/EPA Restrictions
JD/Yanmar seem to run the idle speeds up. Whereas, Kubotas seem to be able to stay at 1,000. For instance, "idle" speed on the 1025R was 1600 and is 1300 of the 2025R.

Ralph

Thanks. Had a buddy that bought a 1025r a couple years ago. He talked the dealer into turning the idle down to around 1k.