Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position

/ Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position #1  

KubotaEv

Tractor
1992 Kubota l2650
Hello everyone, I am new to excavators and just picked up an old sumitomo (IHI) uj18 mini excavator. As the title suggests this machine has widening tracks. they were working for a little while, then i sucked them in, and one of the tracks got stuck in the narrow position. I am really just wondering how this system works. from what I know, it is a single hydraulic cylinder that operates boths sides. and the tracks are on a sort of "rail" system (small tube inside of big tube). I have cleaned it as best i can with no luck. So as it sits now, one track is free moving and the other is stuck all the way in. I have tried to pull it with my tractor while operating the hydraulics with no luck. Should I just pull it harder??
thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20220423_121048.jpg
    20220423_121048.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 125
   / Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position #2  
if you rotate the bucket to the side and lift the track off the ground does it try to move?

/ Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position #3  
You’re probably supposed to lift the tracks off the ground before sliding them. Are you doing that?

/ Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position
if you rotate the bucket to the side and lift the track off the ground does it try to move?
it does not move. I always lift the excavator off the ground before trying to retract or expand the tracks.

You’re probably supposed to lift the tracks off the ground before sliding them. Are you doing that?
Yes I always lift the machine up when i try to expand/retract them

/ Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position #6  
We use to have a bobcat that did the same thing . Sometimes we' get it to work by trying the controls to work in different combos. Slew ,curl tracks in Etc. But finally it had to go in to shop developed a bad leak . They said it was a solunoid that stop the track from moving .

The tracks moved in and out with full weight on the machine in deep mud or on dry pavement. Bobcat tried to stop that leak 6 times . Cost a small fortune. Resigned it to the machine just marks it territory like a dog only with hydro fluid . My boss use to call it dust control.🍻

I found the problem. The stop on the track was broken causing the track to over extend. So the cylinder was pushing out as far as it could go. I welded the stop back on and all is well.

Attachments

• 20220427_120227.jpg
    20220427_120227.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 206
   / Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position #8  
Nice when you can fix them yourself . (y) Usually only takes a little investigating and desire to get r done.🍻

/ Expandable tracks stuck in narrow position #9  
great, its nice when its a fix one can do themselves instead of a visit to dealer, seems nothing is less than 1000 dollars these days