EZ Trail Hay Basket

/ EZ Trail Hay Basket #1  

MichiganIron

Silver Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Full line of KIOTI Tractors, BEFCO and Worksaver Implements
Just purchased a "New to Us" EZ Trail Hay Basket. We have a basket that we modified years ago by removing part of the front panel and the chute, and kicked the bales into the basket instead of using a chute. This process has worked well for several years, but have been thinking that before we chop up the new basket for the kicker, we would get some input on using the basket as is with the chute instead of the kicker. What are the disadvantages of the chute, and how well does it work in corners. With the kicker, we are able to continue baling around corners are just pointing the kicker as we turn. Have heard stories of not being able to bale in corners with the chute, and problems keeping the bale density consistent with the chute loading the basket. Any input would be appreciated.

/ EZ Trail Hay Basket #2  
Just purchased a "New to Us" EZ Trail Hay Basket. We have a basket that we modified years ago by removing part of the front panel and the chute, and kicked the bales into the basket instead of using a chute. This process has worked well for several years, but have been thinking that before we chop up the new basket for the kicker, we would get some input on using the basket as is with the chute instead of the kicker. What are the disadvantages of the chute, and how well does it work in corners. With the kicker, we are able to continue baling around corners are just pointing the kicker as we turn. Have heard stories of not being able to bale in corners with the chute, and problems keeping the bale density consistent with the chute loading the basket. Any input would be appreciated.
I had 2 of them and never had any problems with baling.
Where I had problems was one of them dang near killed me when I disconnected it from truck and dumped it. It tipped backwards.

/ EZ Trail Hay Basket
I had 2 of them and never had any problems with baling.
Where I had problems was one of them dang near killed me when I disconnected it from truck and dumped it. It tipped backwards.
Thanks Dude for your reply. We do all small squares for horses and goats, so our customers like consistent bales that stack and store well. We have heard plenty of people tell us we will have trouble with bale density because you have to turn the stuffer tension all the way down to compensate for the back pressure on the stuffer from pushing the bales up the chute. Seems to make sense, except the first 4 bales in each basket would be junk (too loose to tie). Not sure if you had any experience with this issue.

/ EZ Trail Hay Basket #4  
Thanks Dude for your reply. We do all small squares for horses and goats, so our customers like consistent bales that stack and store well. We have heard plenty of people tell us we will have trouble with bale density because you have to turn the stuffer tension all the way down to compensate for the back pressure on the stuffer from pushing the bales up the chute. Seems to make sense, except the first 4 bales in each basket would be junk (too loose to tie). Not sure if you had any experience with this issue.
Yes I did. Once the chute becomes full, the bales become consistent. The first 1/2 dozen are mush unless you crank the pressure, then back it off after the chute becomes about 1/2 full.