F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100?

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi TBN friends!

I just became the owner of an F3990 Front Mower. In general it works really well.

I have been reading the owners manual and it states that you shouldn't run anything more than B5 diesel in it. (5% biodiesel). It gives no reason for the warning and admonition.

Given that B100 (100% biodiesel) would produce no soot, I'm very interested in using it and I did run it FOR YEARS in my GMC 6.5 diesel trucks with zero problems.

I don't understand why Kubota engines wouldn't run really well, and frankly it would eliminate the need for the DPF, OR the DPF would run indefinitely without turning on, since the DPF filter would never lose pressure (I am correct in thinking that the DPF sensors are actually pressure sensors in the DPF filter system?)

What do you guys think?

Rob

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100?
I think I found my answer: Biodiesel Barriers: Why New Diesel Engines Aren't Compatible With B100

"Manufacturers (Kubota?) decided to inject fuel into the cylinders just after the cylinder fires and the exhaust valve opens. At this point, the fuel vaporizes and the vapors move down the exhaust to the DPF and clean it. Because biodiesel is denser than conventional diesel fuel (it has a longer hydrocarbon chain) and has a higher distillation temperature and boiling point, it does not vaporize as easily. Some of the fuel ends up adhering to the cylinder wall and runs past the rings, diluting engine oil."

Sincerely,

Rob :)

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #4  
Hi TBN friends!

I just became the owner of an F3990 Front Mower. In general it works really well.

......................snip...........................

Rob

When you get a chance please post us some photos of your new mower in action?

Besides B100 is an algae growing magnet
I respect your opinion and you may be right. That said, my experience over the last 12 years running 100% biodiesel hasn't included any algae incidents. I did need to slowly ramp up the Biodiesel/Regular Diesel percentage over several weeks (e.g., B5, B10, B20, B40... B100) and swap out fuel filters along the way, but I encountered zero problems. In fact, the cleaning capabilities left the fuel system pristinely clean, the increased lubricity made the engines run very smoothly (qualitative assessment) and the exhaust smelled like Chinese stir-fry. :)

Sincerely,

When you get a chance please post us some photos of your new mower in action?
I would be happy to. I'll have to give it a polish and wash first. :)

Sincerely,

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #7  
I respect your opinion and you may be right.
I am right. Been there and did it with my diesel pickup truck to the tune of a grand in new parts the exoskeletons of the algae (after I added biocide in hopes it would remedy it, clogged the fuel system, ruined the sending unit in the fuel tank, ate up the lift pump and caused me a lot of time installing everything new. It smells good but far as I'm concerned, I can do without the smell versus spending a grand and lots of shop time replacing ruined parts. I was lucky in as much as it didn't get to the injectors or that would have been twice the cost.

The issue with B100 or B20 and even ULSD (to a much lesser extent) is when it sits over time in a fuel tank, the tank sweats internally and produces moisture and that moisture combines with the fuel and provides an ideal growing medium for algae.

Why I religiously add a biocide to my fuel now and will from now on and for me there are only 2 viable ones, Power Kleen Biocide and Caterpillar Biocide additive. Neither is cheap but neither is a uchered fuel system

I am right. Been there and did it with my diesel pickup truck to the tune of a grand in new parts the exoskeletons of the algae (after I added biocide in hopes it would remedy it, clogged the fuel system, ruined the sending unit in the fuel tank, ate up the lift pump and caused me a lot of time installing everything new. It smells good but far as I'm concerned, I can do without the smell versus spending a grand and lots of shop time replacing ruined parts. I was lucky in as much as it didn't get to the injectors or that would have been twice the cost.

The issue with B100 or B20 and even ULSD (to a much lesser extent) is when it sits over time in a fuel tank, the tank sweats internally and produces moisture and that moisture combines with the fuel and provides an ideal growing medium for algae.

Why I religiously add a biocide to my fuel now and will from now on and for me there are only 2 viable ones, Power Kleen Biocide and Caterpillar Biocide additive. Neither is cheap but neither is a uchered fuel system
Thanks for the words of advice. I haven't used biocide, but I have used enzyme treatment, specifically Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment Diesel Additive Small Engine

All the best,

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #9  
Not familiar with that. Before I retired from my day job at a local Freightliner dealer, SOP for them was dosing their bulk diesel tanks (ULSD underground) with either the CAT additive or the Bio-Kleen and in the winter they used Power Service winter additive in all their diesel trucks.

The Startron blurb don't say anything about a biocide in it and... if it had a biocide in it, there would be a USDA label attached to the bottle with cautionary statements included.

Different companies make all kinds of claims but if the labelling don't specifically say what it contains, then it don't.

Having been down that road, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

/ F3990 Owner: Why can't I run B100? #10  
Guys, I have no knowledge of this algae problem in diesel. Is this only a problem with biodiesel, or does it happen with all diesel fuel?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
2 Yard steel end...
9' Wilbar Dually Truck body (A33544)
9' Wilbar Dually...
2021 Bobcat E145 Excavator (A32803)
2021 Bobcat E145...
2002 Leeboy 8500T Paving Machine, 8' to 15', 4-Cyl. Deutz Engine, S/N 10412 (A33349)
2002 Leeboy 8500T...
Toro Reelmaster 3100 D (A32932)
Toro Reelmaster...
International Disc (A33041)
International Disc...