Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac #51  
A little late, but -

Dang, Barry - is that you? Yer a big dude! That chain saw looks like a toy in your hand!

I'm glad that you realize that even a small tractor beats a big dude! I know too many big guys who are crippled because they tried to out-muscle a machine.

When are you going to step away from the Orange Side and get another PT?

Edit - BTW, please step a little farther out from under that bucket - yer makin' me nervous!
Hi there Gravy , nice to see someone is still mature enough to talk to me on here. Of course in their defense I do realize the title was collecting firewood with a power trac. Still I would have said hello if positions were reversed.

The older I get the more this little tractor earns its place around here. As for the Orange, once I replaced a few parts on it and changed out all of the fluids, it runs so **** well not sure it's ever going to wear out. I've made quite a few attachments for the front bucket and many more in the works this summer. I have a grader blade for the back along with a post hole digger that work well. The previous owner just ran it to death and didn't maintain it at all from what I can see.

It does everything I ask it to do just like the little 180 did. Love the diesel plenty of power. My only complaint would be the smaller front wheels when I hit a large rut with a heavy load in the bucket. Have to shift into 4x4 to pull me up and out. I'll be moving up to the larger wheels of the BX 25 though soon, that should make a big difference.

Looks like I may have missed my window for another PT at least until this one gives up the ghost. If and when it does, then I will be in the market for another Power Trac. A 422 most likely I do love the PT can't be beat for the money or the versatility. Thanks for saying hello and I'll try to stay out from under those buckets. Take care :)

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac #52  
MossRoad,

David,

Why is News/feedback closed with a lock on it? Why can I not post in this area? What is permalink.

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac #53  
MossRoad,

David,

Why is News/feedback closed with a lock on it? Why can I not post in this area? What is permalink.

I just posted a test reply in the News/Feedback forum and it works fine for me. :confused:

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac #54  
Yes. I did. I just forgot to post the finished pictures. Here goes! :)

First picture is a wider shot.

Second is me in front of it facing south. I'm 6' so the outer edge is about 7.5' high. The center of the pile is right around 8'.

Third picture shows the slabs I used on top to shed rain.

Fourth shows that I don't trust the slabs so I put some plywood scraps on top with ropes around the center post. As I remove wood the ropes slide down the pole and the plywood scraps come down with it.

I've been burning since October 1st; all but 4 days. I had about a third of a cord already in the basement and used that the first 3 weeks of October. I broke into the Holz Hausen about the last week of October. I have about a month's worth of wood in the house and the HH is down to about 6' on the outside edge. So, I think I have enough to last through the end of February for sure.

As for drying faster.... no way it is drying faster than conventionally stacked wood. There is just no way it can because the ends are hidden from open air circulation as compared to wood stacked in single wide rows. However, it sure takes up a LOT less space in my yard. I plan on making two smaller ones for next year.

Getting the wood off the top of the pile is not a problem. I use a long handle garden claw with 4-5 fingers on it to pull them down. Now that the pile is 6' I can just take them off by hand.

Here is the one I made, it's nothing fancy. It is 10ft diameter at the base and about 7-8ft tall. This method of stacking is definately more work, and I'm also doubtfull it will speed the drying time, but it is a good way to put alot of wood in a small area!
I know my wood is not split in very small peices, it's because I'm using an outdoor wood boiler this year and it has a big fire box.
hultz hausen 001.jpg

View attachment 147166

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac
MossRoad,

David,

Are you sure the lock is on the News/feedback forum or is the lock just on one of the threads inside it? PM me if you are still having difficulties. ;)

Here is the one I made, it's nothing fancy. It is 10ft diameter at the base and about 7-8ft tall. This method of stacking is definately more work, and I'm also doubtfull it will speed the drying time, but it is a good way to put alot of wood in a small area!
I know my wood is not split in very small peices, it's because I'm using an outdoor wood boiler this year and it has a big fire box.
View attachment 147165

View attachment 147166
Yes, those are BIG chunks! :D I wouldn't be able to get them in my stove! :p

Hi there Gravy , nice to see someone is still mature enough to talk to me on here. Of course in their defense I do realize the title was collecting firewood with a power trac. Still I would have said hello if positions were reversed.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? :p

You know you are always welcome in any TBN forum, and especially in this one! :D

It was almost 1:00am and I was pooped! :rolleyes:

I wanted to ask you about that chainsaw in the picture. I have a smaller one with the same tool-less tensioner. I cannot keep it tight. You have any tricks or tips?

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac #58  
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? :p

You know you are always welcome in any TBN forum, and especially in this one! :D

It was almost 1:00am and I was pooped! :rolleyes:

I wanted to ask you about that chainsaw in the picture. I have a smaller one with the same tool-less tensioner. I cannot keep it tight. You have any tricks or tips?

Mine is the 20 -inch Poulan Pro PP4620AVHD. Great chain saw for the money.

The trick is order the old style chain tensioner for it and, trash the new one... works like a charm. The old style tensioner has a screw adjustment with a locking nut. It will fit the following models. If yours is a poulan and on the list below it should also work for your model. The part number is

Poulan 530054819 Chain Brake at Partstore.com
Part Number: 530054819 | SKU: 8913268

You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else online, they get you on the shipping. Now go back to bed and get some sleep. :rolleyes:

Poulan Poulan Pro 295
PoulanPRO Poulan Pro 295
Poulan PP4620AVHD
PoulanPRO PP4620AVHD

/ Firewood Gathering With A Power Trac #59  
Barryh,

Hi Barry, good to see you are using that little orange tractor. I have a Kubota B-9200
hydrostatic 4WD. I use it mostly to grade my road. Had it before my 1445 acquisition. I also have a Ford 8N that needs to go. Stay in touch my friend.

Mine is the 20 -inch Poulan Pro PP4620AVHD. Great chain saw for the money.

The trick is order the old style chain tensioner for it and, trash the new one... works like a charm. The old style tensioner has a screw adjustment with a locking nut. It will fit the following models. If yours is a poulan and on the list below it should also work for your model. The part number is

Poulan 530054819 Chain Brake at Partstore.com
Part Number: 530054819 | SKU: 8913268

You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else online, they get you on the shipping. Now go back to bed and get some sleep. :rolleyes:

Poulan Poulan Pro 295
PoulanPRO Poulan Pro 295
Poulan PP4620AVHD
PoulanPRO PP4620AVHD

Mine's the PP4218AVX. I called Poulan today. They have a kit to convert it back to a tool required chain tensioner, which is fine by me. :) I need my serial number, so I will get it ordered tomorrow.