First Antique Tractor?

/ First Antique Tractor? #11  
Farmall Cubs are a fun, small, inexpensive tractors to play around with.

/ First Antique Tractor? #12  
I like anything with a motor. The old tractors have a certain look that can't be found today. I see a lot of older Oliver tractors.

/ First Antique Tractor? #13  
I like anything with a motor. The old tractors have a certain look that can't be found today. I see a lot of older Oliver tractors.

Both old, and current tractors, have engines!
Maybe soon.....Elon Musk wild build new ones with motors.

/ First Antique Tractor? #14  
".Elon Musk wild build new ones with motors."

And I will have ZERO interest in that, LOL!!!

/ First Antique Tractor? #15  
thumbnail_20190406_155412.jpgthumbnail_20190406_153147.jpg

Well here's my dilemma, The 1951 Allis Chalmers AC tractor you see was the 1st tractor my dad learned on when he was 6 or 7. His dad bought it new for his dad in 1951. So it was my Great Grandpa's tractor. My cousin now owns it and had it running about 20 years ago. He wanted to know if I would or could restore it and get it running again, he would probably give it to me as long as I promised not to ever sell it and keep it in my family.
Well I have no idea where to start, I wouldn't know how to take down the engine/transmission, brakes, wiring etc. It's a 6 volt positive ground which I think I'd want to convert to 12 v neg ground.
I told him it's a matter of time and money.. the lack of both but I think I'd like to give it a try. But the lack of knowledge on this is overwhelming and I just don't know how big of a project it'll turn into.
So how much time and money does it take and how hard is it to refurbish to like new?
Thanks
Jason

/ First Antique Tractor? #16  
Harrell727, start with this site:
AllisChalmers Forum

I have gotten a lot of info there. I also have a CA.....a 1955 wide front. There are pics and videos on that site of complete engine rebuilds and rebuilding the hand clutch on those models.

Mine already has the engine done, new drive clutch and converted to 12 volt. But I priced out the following stuff new from Steiner and Yesterday's Tractor:

2 new power spinout rear rims, new gauges, new battery box, the webbing that goes under the fuel tank and straps, complete decal kit, hand clutch lever, new hood, all filters, tie rod boots, grill, shroud tool box sheetmetal, steering wheel, and fenders and it came out to me having an investment of around $4700.00 and I paid $2500 for the tractor. Just to give you a rough idea.

This is what I am starting with.

Attachments

• 302 (Large).jpg
    302 (Large).jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 159
   / First Antique Tractor? #17  
You might not have to do a lot to get it running... the 6 volt positive ground would not bother me as most of my cars are 6 volts and about 50/50 on tractors.

Tractors that have not been abused, rolled or left to rot out in the elements often require time, fluids and some adjustments to bring it back to life...

So often bad fuel or bad points is all that is really wrong... sometimes a stuck clutch too...

I have started cars that sat outside for decades... Model A Ford was the last...

I did cheat as I bought my own carb and a peanut can gas tank I made up for testing... eliminates all fuel issues... I also carry a spare distributor which is simple to swap... the old girl sprung to life...

(I did make sure I could turn the engine over by hand and had pulled the plugs to squirt in oil to let it soak for a couple of weeks.)

/ First Antique Tractor? #18  
As much as I love the 8,9,2Ns, (I've had 3), I think a better value is the next up in the 600-800 series. One 8n tryed to push me through a barn wall with a brush hog due to the PTO not being shut off from the clutch and the other had no brakes for the whole time I owned it due to the oil leaking on the brake pads. Value for value, the 600s had a lot more tractor I believe.
The 8n didn't have a live 3 point. Clutch goes in, three point goes down. 600 doesn't.

here's a bit about them.
The History of Ford N Series Tractors

That being said, I wished I could make my wife understand that I REALLY need a V8 Ford 8n, a Rowcrop tricycle Farmall H, and a Poppin Johnny John Deere as backups for my L3301 Kubota. She's not convinced...yet.