Flail Mower Flail Mower- blade sharpener

/ Flail Mower- blade sharpener #11  
oh, i found those on craigslist......i haven't even contacted the guy......just curious, really.....especially for only $40

i used an agle grinder and pliers for the easy ones, but it was pretty quick just to remove them and hold them where you could apply pressure...

no big deal....i just have a bad habbit of buying tools!;)

edit: it is hard to tell where the grind stone even is in those pics...

I looked again and found this. This pdf is about parts and sharpening, with picures.

http://www.alamo-industrial.com/ProductManuals/Manuals/197_shd_flail_bltns_man_01-04.pdf

Page 14 of 26

/ Flail Mower- blade sharpener
   / Flail Mower- blade sharpener #13  
I would think a little Dremel tool would do a credible job on the light weight cutters, either on the shaft or off.

I would call Alamo and talk to their parts dept about replacement grinding wheels. One of these 12 v chain saw sharpeners might work.

they are very hard steel (of course) and even an agle grinder with a flapper wheel or stone, i had to spend a little time to dress them back down....i really think a dremel wouldn't stand much of a chance....and i love my dremel......

on the other side, my blades were in pretty rough shape.....lot's of nicks, etc....i don't think they'll be nearly as bad......i hit a few things but they seemed to keep the edge pretty nicely.....

i'm gonna try it if he'll ship it.......i'm going to call him right now.....will keep ya'll posted....

I would think a little Dremel tool would do a credible job on the light weight cutters, either on the shaft or off.

I would call Alamo and talk to their parts dept about replacement grinding wheels. One of these 12 v chain saw sharpeners might work.

well, she emailed me and said she shipped it......

i want to try it when it comes in but the flail is up the hollow ......might have to take a ac converter up there and give it a quick try;)

will update....

/ Flail Mower- blade sharpener #16  
Ok I don't have any experience with the flail mowers. I do use a flexible grinding disc with my drill motor to sharpen the lawn mower blades. Main thing is not to get the metal too hot on the edge. And of course wear your cotton picking Safety glasses!:cool:

Well, I got it.....looks pretty slick.....

To replace the stones, you just remove 3-4 screws and remove the end caps....then the stone is just a miniature stone for a bench style grinder.....where to buy them might be a different story...

nice, healthy sounding motor....little bulky to hold in your hand.......we'll see..

i haven't tried it on an actual blade yet, the mower is up on the hill behind my house.....

i'll post might thoughts on it after i sharpen 88 blades on both sides!:rolleyes: i've done it with an angle grinder.....we'll see which is better....