Fluids for T474HC?

/ Fluids for T474HC? #61  
Rich, you seem to be making mountains out of mole hills.

What you have is a slightly overfilled hydraulic reservoir. It has been mentioned previously, but looks like you asked again about how to check this. You need to lower your three point hitch and front end loader to check. This is really to remove all pressure from the hydraulic lines, so do this while the tractor is turned off. Move that loader lever around to remove the hydraulic pressure. Should be no pressure in the hydraulic lines.

You can also add more dye to get a more pronounced red color. It doesn’t look like it has fully mixed together the dye and oil yet, so it will likely darken some. I like mine more red than not so I can easily check. That dye will not stain the glass or metal in your system so don’t worry about that.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #62  
Man, I don't know what to think. I added the bottle of hydraulic fluid dye I had. Surprisingly it was more of a red/maroon color. I expected it to be green. Anyway, I added in the whole bottle, then drove the tractor around a bit to mix it in with the hydraulic fluid. It took a while before I saw any change, and when I did, it wasn't what I was expecting at all. What I saw through the sight glass was the colored fluid dripping down from the three holes at the top of that metal piece showing there. I had expected I was either going to see no change meaning the fluid level was not high enough to show in the window, or that the entire window would show the newly changed colored fluid, with the fluid being overfilled covering the entire window. So of course I didn't have my camera handy.

I drew in an approximation of what I saw in the window as best I could.

View attachment 826655

The color wasn't that brilliant, of course, and I am no artist, but the effect is pretty much what I saw. If the sight glass were filled with hydraulic fluid, how could this sort of effect be produced? The dyed hydraulic fluid wouldn't be thicker nor heavier than the undyed fluid, so how could this visual effect take place.

I did go to the house and get my camera, but by the time I got back, the visual effect had changed quite a bit.

View attachment 826656

The dyed fluid has dripped down that metal face, and you can still see the gold color still visible as narrow vertical streaks between that dyed fluid that seem to have dripped down over the face of the metal. Wouldn't the dye have pretty much been distributed uniformly all through the hydraulic fluid instead of dripping through those holes?

Of course, now I am wondering if that metal piece visible through the sight window has been permanently stained from the dye.

I tried using an actual engine dip stick into the hydraulic fluid fill hole, but I could feel the tip of it slide along the bottom of the reservoir pan. Not sure how to get an actual accurate reading of the fluid level in that manner.

Man I hate the thought if getting underneath the tractor and draining the fluid into containers just to see how much comes out. That is likely going to be a real messy job. Plus I am just getting to feeling too old to be crawling on my back underneath the thing to do something like that.

Anyone know how much hydraulic fluid is in the T474 when it is delivered to the dealer from TYM? I imagine they don't fill up the reservoir and have the dealer do that upon delivery.
If you want to remove some of the oil you do not have to drain it from the bottom. Most auto parts stores will have an inexpensive transfer pump that you can use to remove some oil from the fill port.

Here is one example from Harbor Freight.

But that is up to you. Most of us would not worry to much about it unless it was crazy high.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #63  
As to how that effect could happen...the oil that was adjacent to the glass will not mix as readily as the oil that is further in the system. Put some food coloring in a batch of cookie dough in a mixer. Watch how the color spreads. Certain spots just take longer due to adhesion.

I agree with above. Relax and enjoy your tractor.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #64  
Rich,

You are fine.

Try to relax, and just go forth and enjoy your new tractor. Nothing bad is going to happen here. You are likely a little bit over full. This will not harm anything. You are obviously above the sight glass with hydraulic fluid, which is what we all kind of expected. You don't need to add anymore dye, as the portion you just added has done it's job. It has "proven" to you (us) that it is full.

You certainly don't need to try to drain any out. You are fine. Now go get some work done, and post some pictures of your tractor at work.

We like tractor pics.

/ Fluids for T474HC?
Yeah, I do worry about things. Heck, if I don't, who will? :)

/ Fluids for T474HC? #66  
Yeah, I do worry about things. Heck, if I don't, who will? :)
There are a millions of people who spend a lot of time and energy worrying about things beyond the control of mortals. They cause enough heartache and mess in the world without you adding extra stress on yourself.

I am working on this myself. Retirement is making me learn to slow down and worry less. (It is definitely a work in progress).

/ Fluids for T474HC?
My wife has stage 4 ovarian cancer. I actually wish I had more tractor things to worry about to take my mind off of that particular really BIG one. Fixation on minor things is a rabbit hole escape that my mind seems to seek out lately. So if I act a bit insane here, well, there is a really excellent chance that I really am. My mind will jump at the chance to worry about little stuff to give it some place to hide.

If you think I worry too much about this tractor stuff, you should see me worrying about the medical practice BS my wife is having to go through. Hell is probably a piece of cake compared to this.

Sorry about going off topic, but I felt an explanation was in order. And I am sorry, but I think it will get worse. So if I post here asking how I get my tractor out from the top of a pine tree, I hope you understand.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #68  
My wife has stage 4 ovarian cancer. I actually wish I had more tractor things to worry about to take my mind off of that particular really BIG one. Fixation on minor things is a rabbit hole escape that my mind seems to seek out lately. So if I act a bit insane here, well, there is a really excellent chance that I really am. My mind will jump at the chance to worry about little stuff to give it some place to hide.

If you think I worry too much about this tractor stuff, you should see me worrying about the medical practice BS my wife is having to go through. Hell is probably a piece of cake compared to this.

Sorry about going off topic, but I felt an explanation was in order. And I am sorry, but I think it will get worse. So if I post here asking how I get my tractor out from the top of a pine tree, I hope you understand.

As long as you're not asking how to get it off of you I think we will be alright; patience is something we all need to work on, and you certainly deserve our understanding and support.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #69  
Amen, brother. Completely understand. We've got you.

Have you lubed all of your weed deflectors? Maybe you should focus in that! :)

More seriously, Hank Hamilton (you tuber with TYM) uses paint pens to mark his lug nuts and other nuts on his tractor. He marks the size and uses a line for rotation, so a visual inspection will help him see if things are loosening. I got the pens and will be marking mine soon. That may keep you busy for a while.

I think we can provide plenty of distraction.

/ Fluids for T474HC? #70  
I picked up some paint pens after seeing Hank do that on his channel; I haven't got to it yet, but one step at a time.

He's a really good guy, if you haven't you should check out his videos. They can be a little click-baity with regards to their titles, but he is entertaining and provides a lot of information.

Oh you could buy grease zerk covers, remove all your zerks, and install covers on them!