Buying Advice Ford 1520

/ Ford 1520 #1  

Donnyj

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking
Hello,
After a long absence from this site, I have returned for some good advice. For personal reasons I had to sell every thing I had which was a Kioti DK45S, 6' mower, Loader, Pallet forks, box grader, angle blade and tire chains.
So now Im in the market to start over and have run across a Ford 1520 with a Ford loader, rear blade and canopy. Tractor has about 2600 hours on it. Starts up with no noise or smoke. Everything seems to work, but the guy showing me the tractor did say he noticed the 4x4 would jump out of engagement sometimes. I didn't experience it while checking out the tractor. I will need to purchase another rear mower so Im assuming a 5' would be plenty. The tractor is a gear tractor with a mid mount pto. I see brackets under the tractor so I assume somebody had a belly mower under it. All the hoses look good with no cracking and the paint looks good with no fading or body damage. I assume it was garaged.
They are asking $6800. I know its a lot smaller tractor than what I had before, but it should fill my needs. Need to mow about 15 acres 3 times a year, and keep a 1000' gravel driveway cleared of snow and from washing out.
Any info on this tractor and the potential issue with the 4x4 concern would greatly be appreciated. I have owned Fords in the past, but they were much older. I had an 8N, 641 with loader and a 3000 diesel with a loader.

Thanks in advance!!

/ Ford 1520 #2  
If 4x4 if something that's a must then you may want to reconsider. Something to keep in mind with tractors of this era is that parts aren't nearly as easy to come by as a 8N/TO-20/etc. At a minimum it sounds like you'd need to split the tractor to fix something like that.

For instance the tach on our 1500 just went out a few weeks ago. Not a single place stocked a new one and I couldn't find a used one anywhere. I ended up actually getting one from a 1520 that happened to match.

/ Ford 1520 #3  
Hello,
After a long absence from this site, I have returned for some good advice. For personal reasons I had to sell every thing I had which was a Kioti DK45S, 6' mower, Loader, Pallet forks, box grader, angle blade and tire chains.
So now Im in the market to start over and have run across a Ford 1520 with a Ford loader, rear blade and canopy. Tractor has about 2600 hours on it. Starts up with no noise or smoke. Everything seems to work, but the guy showing me the tractor did say he noticed the 4x4 would jump out of engagement sometimes. I didn't experience it while checking out the tractor. I will need to purchase another rear mower so Im assuming a 5' would be plenty. The tractor is a gear tractor with a mid mount pto. I see brackets under the tractor so I assume somebody had a belly mower under it. All the hoses look good with no cracking and the paint looks good with no fading or body damage. I assume it was garaged.
They are asking $6800. I know its a lot smaller tractor than what I had before, but it should fill my needs. Need to mow about 15 acres 3 times a year, and keep a 1000' gravel driveway cleared of snow and from washing out.
Any info on this tractor and the potential issue with the 4x4 concern would greatly be appreciated. I have owned Fords in the past, but they were much older. I had an 8N, 641 with loader and a 3000 diesel with a loader.

Thanks in advance!!

I bought a Ford 1920 three years ago, and have completely refurbished it.
Have had no problem finding parts to date.
Messicks has 5 locations in Pennsylvania, and LOTS of Ford parts.
There are many E-Bay Ford part sellers also.
My 1920 was easy to split. I assume yours would be similar.

/ Ford 1520 #4  
Donny, sent you a PM.