Ford 3910

/ Ford 3910 #1  

britt2020

Tractor
Ford 3910
I just purchased a ford 3910 and am blown away by the way this relatively old tractor performs. The tractor had 1486 hrs when I purchased it. I have had it less than a week and have worked the fool out of it. It came with a Bush Hog 2446 QT FEL and has FWA. I initially purchased it for a small square bale operation a friend and I do, but now I find myself skidding trees, digging up stumps and pushing up massive brush piles. My father-in-law owns a Kubota 5100 Hydrostat that I have put several hours on. I was spoiled by the Hydro and was hesitant about getting a machine without it, but the 3910 shifts so smoothly from forward to reverse that it's not the issue I thought it would be. The 3910 will push a load for days, where as the 5100 has bogged down a few times. Another thing is the way you can throttle through a load while still in motion, whereas the 5100 don't seem to want to and requires you to stop and give it another go. 3910 has slightly slower/weaker hydraulics, but only marginally. I don't know this for sure, but the 3910 seems to be heavier as well and this could be why it performs better, as far as FEL work goes. This is my first post and is only my opinion, but I wanted to share. Thanks for reading.

/ Ford 3910 #2  
Congrats on your new purchase. I'm not surprised at all by your review as you have just purchased one of the best tractors of all time. Yes its a little short on technology as compared to some of the new 4x4's with hydro trannys etc. However, this tractor will do more work faster and easier than most new 2x4 tractors because if its weight and low end torque. In many ways these tractors are actually over built when looking at things like their massive rear ends and huge diameter pistons that provide tons of low end torque. All these items make for a wide range of usable power and long life durability. I can afford most any new tractor I want and for some reason my collection consist of these old Fords. :) They really are an amazing piece of equipment. Many of which go for decades while abused in the process.

image-397334468.jpg

Here is mine with just over 700 hours which we recently repainted.

/ Ford 3910 #4  
Yes Britt - the 3910 is a great tractor - mine is a 1986 has plenty a power and will do about anything you ask it to. Last year I replaced the starter and now have a fuel leak but still love it. I can't believe how much smoother it rides over rough ground compared to my jd 3720 that will rattle the fillings out of my teeth.

/ Ford 3910 #5  
One other thing I forgot to share earlier. Back in 2008 or 2009 i owned a Ford 4000SU which i still have today but thought I might like to add another tractor to my fleet. So I went by my local New Holland dealer and asked the sales manager about the boomer tractors and that I might be interested in one. We both knew each other fairly well as I bought all my parts and implements from him. I expected to get the normal "you will love it" etc but instead he says "you wont like it cause their no where near the tractor of the older Fords. I couldn't believe what he had just told me. For loader work their probably better in some cases as the hydraulics on some have more flow. But for heavy work their not in the same league.

I was blown away by this and have since collected some nice old Fords and will hold on to them till the end. Hopefully my children will love them too.

Enjoy your new tractor.

/ Ford 3910
Thanks for the replies and the info. Every time I use this tractor I grow more and more fond of it. I can't get over the capabilities of this little sucker. A friend is who suggested this line of tractor to me. He stated that he had tortured one for years while working for his uncle and that it never missed a beat. He said the most impressive quality about them is the engines hardiness. I have found that the tractor can perform well beyond its intended purpose and do it very well. It is boggling to me that tractors of today aren't built to the same ability and standard. I mean I understand creature comforts, but there should be a medium at which both features meet. I have posted the only picture that I have of my 3910.

3910.jpg

/ Ford 3910 #7  
New member...need to post something so they know I'm not a robo...I got a 3910 a year or so a go and in the process of fixing her up...great tractor...PIA to get info...don't have the operators or service manual...are any of these posted online for free?

Thanks

Bob

/ Ford 3910 #8  
I have a 2wd 3910 born in 85 nice tractor too light in the front
I bought a front weight bracket but can’t seem to find where It bolts to
Looks like bodywork covers it
Will I need to cut bottom of bodywork to access the mounting location?