Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #1  

NYFord4610

Tractor
Ford 4610
I wanted to share a recent experience with my 1989 Ford 4610 FWD:
For the past five years or so I've had a very slow power steering fluid leak. I could see a very small amount of fluid dripping down the shaft under the steering wheel and I've always thought the top seal was going bad since that seems like a pretty common problem.
Well this year the leak got really bad....to the point where after an hour or so on the tractor I would have to fill the fluid up so I figured it's time to replace that top seal.
I did a lot of research on the job and found a good video by fordfarmer on youtube that helped a lot so I figured I'd dive in. I had to cut the steering wheel off, broke a hydraulic line...etc etc....manually placing 43 bearings back into place, Teflon seals...all that. After messing with it for about a week I got it all back together and installed, works great....except same thing. Still leaking fluid SOMEWHERE. I searched for power steering leaks in ford tractors online and really couldn't find anything and with this quantity of fluid being lost I couldn't understand where it was going that isn't completely obvious.
Now I check my fluids daily, but usually when I check the oil, the engine is cold so I'll just pull the dipstick, make sure there's oil covering the full line and put it back...What I hadn't realized was the engine oil level was slowly increasing over all this time because the PS fluid was dumping into the oil. Of course the oil is still black and I didn't realize that it was getting thinned out. What happened was the front seal on the power steering pump went bad and was pushing all the fluid from the PS pump into the engine oil.
Now maybe this in an amateur mistake but let me tell you, lesson learned and since I couldn't find anything online complaining of this same issue I figured it was worth it to share.
I spent 120 dollars and many hours/beers rebuilding the steering box and in the end, two bolts, a couple hydraulic lines and 2x$4.54 seals were the whole problem.
So anyone out there experiencing a mystery slow leak on probably any of the gear driven power steering pumps that ford/new Holland uses, keep a close eye on your oil level and if it increases in volume and/or thins out then maybe you're dumping your PS fluid into your engine and it's a VERY easy fix.
The good thing I suppose is 1. lesson learned 2. My engine is squeaky clean and I didn't damage anything 3. I have basically a brand new steering box so I never have to worry about that

One note to add, anyone who's rebuilding their steering box, there are two styles and maybe it depends on the tractor/year/etc. Mine was a burman, there is also a Thompson. There is a video online for the Thompson rebuild and they designed the piston in the bottom slightly different so that you basically have a hopper for the ball bearings and you can just feed them in one at a time. Mine, the Burman, required me to basically glue the bearings into the spline with bearing grease, and VERY carefully thread the worm gear back into place without knocking out any of the bearings. It sounds worse than what it was, but I would suggest to anyone considering doing it, plan on taking the whole steering box off the tractor so that you can put it sideways on the bench, instead of trying to install the bearings while it's still mounted to the tractor.

Good luck and if anyone has questions let me know.

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #2  
For the past five years or so I've had a very slow power steering fluid leak. I could see a very small amount of fluid dripping down the shaft under the steering wheel and I've always thought the top seal was going bad since that seems like a pretty common problem.
Well this year the leak got really bad....to the point where after an hour or so on the tractor I would have to fill the fluid up so I figured it's time to replace that top seal.
I did a lot of research on the job and found a good video by fordfarmer on youtube that helped a lot so I figured I'd dive in. I had to cut the steering wheel off, broke a hydraulic line...etc etc....manually placing 43 bearings back into place, Teflon seals...all that. After messing with it for about a week I got it all back together and installed, works great....except same thing. Still leaking fluid SOMEWHERE. I searched for power steering leaks in ford tractors online and really couldn't find anything and with this quantity of fluid being lost I couldn't understand where it was going that isn't completely obvious.
Now I check my fluids daily, but usually when I check the oil, the engine is cold so I'll just pull the dipstick, make sure there's oil covering the full line and put it back...What I hadn't realized was the engine oil level was slowly increasing over all this time because the PS fluid was dumping into the oil. Of course the oil is still black and I didn't realize that it was getting thinned out. What happened was the front seal on the power steering pump went bad and was pushing all the fluid from the PS pump into the engine oil.
Now maybe this in an amateur mistake but let me tell you, lesson learned and since I couldn't find anything online complaining of this same issue I figured it was worth it to share.
I spent 120 dollars and many hours/beers rebuilding the steering box and in the end, two bolts, a couple hydraulic lines and 2x$4.54 seals were the whole problem.
So anyone out there experiencing a mystery slow leak on probably any of the gear driven power steering pumps that ford/new Holland uses, keep a close eye on your oil level and if it increases in volume and/or thins out then maybe you're dumping your PS fluid into your engine and it's a VERY easy fix.
The good thing I suppose is 1. lesson learned 2. My engine is squeaky clean and I didn't damage anything 3. I have basically a brand new steering box so I never have to worry about that

One note to add, anyone who's rebuilding their steering box, there are two styles and maybe it depends on the tractor/year/etc. Mine was a burman, there is also a Thompson. There is a video online for the Thompson rebuild and they designed the piston in the bottom slightly different so that you basically have a hopper for the ball bearings and you can just feed them in one at a time. Mine, the Burman, required me to basically glue the bearings into the spline with bearing grease, and VERY carefully thread the worm gear back into place without knocking out any of the bearings. It sounds worse than what it was, but I would suggest to anyone considering doing it, plan on taking the whole steering box off the tractor so that you can put it sideways on the bench, instead of trying to install the bearings while it's still mounted to the tractor.

I had a '79 or thereabouts 4600 with the Burman. I did a kit and in getting things back together, I dropped a ball and didn't realize it, attempting to put it back together with the "spacer"......your idea with grease to lock them in place is something I should have thought of, but didn't. In short, i wound up purchasing a new $2000 steering box from the Ford house. Some educations are pricy!

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #3  
So removing, repairing and reinstalling the pump was easy?? Any tips to offer?? I suspect this is what my 555A is doing. Thanks!!!!

Welcome to TBN!!!

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #4  
Just about every one of those Ford p/s pumps is worth a try with shaft seals or a full seal kit. If one attempt does not cure it and there is no sign of incorrect assembly it is more than likely time for a new pump.

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #5  
Just about every one of those Ford p/s pumps is worth a try with shaft seals or a full seal kit. If one attempt does not cure it and there is no sign of incorrect assembly it is more than likely time for a new pump.

No secret tips to removal or repair?

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #6  
Not really. Just scribe across the side of the pump on a bit of an angle before disassembly if you are going to install a complete seal kit. That will aid in getting it reassembled correctly. If the pump driveshaft has any play in its bushing a shaft seal will not last long.

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #7  
Not really. Just scribe across the side of the pump on a bit of an angle before disassembly if you are going to install a complete seal kit. That will aid in getting it reassembled correctly. If the pump driveshaft has any play in its bushing a shaft seal will not last long.

Thanks Rick.

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #8  

I’m leaking fluid out the steering wheel on my 4610SU. I replaced the top seal with no luck. Still leaks. Any suggestions??

/ Ford 4610 Mystery Power Steering Leak #9  

I have a '82 Ford 4610 and I had a leak under the steering wheel. I changed the power steering filter and my leak went away.