Ford 542 hay dog.

/ Ford 542 hay dog. #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
I recently bought a 542 as a back up/ sideline machine. It’s old ( no sh*t Sherlock!) and tired but I’ve managed to get it tying ok now but bales are loose and mis shaped. I discovered the lower right hand hay dog, spring and pin are missing so I’m guessing that could be my tension issue?
Does anyone know where I can get the three parts? A dismantlers? Messicks list them but the prices hurt. 90 for the dog, 60 for the spring and 50 for the pin!
Any info appreciated, thanks!

/ Ford 542 hay dog. #2  
I feel your pain... I lost the shear bolt bushing from a NH 310 baler. Local dealer wants $70 for one but will only sell two (NH minimum order) since they ..."never sold one in 30 years."
I had a local machine shop make two (in case I lose it again)... cost me $30 for the pair.

I would suggest buy the spring and make the dog & pin.

/ Ford 542 hay dog.
I feel your pain... I lost the shear bolt bushing from a NH 310 baler. Local dealer wants $70 for one but will only sell two (NH minimum order) since they ..."never sold one in 30 years."
I had a local machine shop make two (in case I lose it again)... cost me $30 for the pair.

I would suggest buy the spring and make the dog & pin.
It’s the principal of paying $50 for a $5 spring though lol.

/ Ford 542 hay dog.
Well, it had to be done. Thanks @TractorTech for the link. I found a pin at a fair price too but still had to buy the spring from Messicks which came in at $80 shipped.
If anyone hears of a 542/532 being parted out, please let me know. I have a feeling I may be needing a few odds and ends!

/ Ford 542 hay dog. #6  
It’s the principal of paying $50 for a $5 spring though lol.
Don't know what your spring looks like so, I'm going by the springs on my baler. While the spring isn't much material wise, the wire and shaping of it, is much more than cutting, drilling a piece of metal. (I've made pins at home on a drill press.) That's why I suggested buying the spring.

/ Ford 542 hay dog. #8  
Yes, but you can spend $50 in time, but you get this and it will be the right spring. New Holland dog springs run about $40. The pin should be easy to replace with something else.

/ Ford 542 hay dog. #9  
I recently bought a 542 as a back up/ sideline machine. It’s old ( no sh*t Sherlock!) and tired but I’ve managed to get it tying ok now but bales are loose and mis shaped. I discovered the lower right hand hay dog, spring and pin are missing so I’m guessing that could be my tension issue? Nox Vidmate VLC
Does anyone know where I can get the three parts? A dismantlers? Messicks list them but the prices hurt. 90 for the dog, 60 for the spring and 50 for the pin!
Any info appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: