Front axle gear oil

/ Front axle gear oil #11  
Front axles are one of those things that you fill it. Come back in an hour and fill it again. Take it for a drive and check it the next day.

/ Front axle gear oil #12  
My Kubota tractors used UDT2 which is the equivalent of 10W hydraulic oil. When the axle seals eventually began to leak, I switched to SAE 80W 140 and never had a problem.

/ Front axle gear oil #13  
4 gallons of 80W-90. Traveller's brand from TSC went in my P7010C at 740 hrs.

CT

/ Front axle gear oil #14  
Good point, the specs call for GL4 in front axle. The Lucas I used is rated at GL5 and is a non synthetic. I wonder if using the Lucas will do any harm? When I got the tractor back from a dealer after some warranty work and the front axle was 2 qts low so I used the Lucas to top it off.
I know this is an older post but I figured I’d pass on what I found out on this. I contacted LS USA customer service today and questioned the use of 80W90 GL5 in my front axle (my manual only says GL4 and I happen to have a few bottles of GL5 on hand). They checked my tractor’s serial number and told me that the GL5 is compatible with my unit.

/ Front axle gear oil #15  
I know this is an older post but I figured I’d pass on what I found out on this. I contacted LS USA customer service today and questioned the use of 80W90 GL5 in my front axle (my manual only says GL4 and I happen to have a few bottles of GL5 on hand). They checked my tractor’s serial number and told me that the GL5 is compatible with my unit.
Amsoil 80W-90 GL5 is GL4 compatible so no worries there.

Use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gearapplications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5,MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037),Mack GO-J or other GL-5 based specifications from vehiclemanufacturers, including Ford,* GM* and Chrysler.* Can also beused in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended.

/ Front axle gear oil #16  
I ran into this whole GL-4 vs GL-5 thing with my manual transmission Toyota pickup doing both transmission, transfer cases, and diffs. After doing a bit of digging, GL-5 is defiantly not backwards compatible with GL-4, even it the manufacture states that it is. The reason is the additives in GL-5 can eat softer metals like copper and bronze. These soft metals are found in the Toyota manual transmissions. Its safe to use GL-5 in the transfer case and diffs, but not the transmission.

Why do I say this if using GL5 is safe in the front axle of your tractor? Because many companies state that it is equivalent, safe, better, meets or exceeds, etc. Just because the maker of the oil says its safe, it may not be. And they wont pay for your repairs.

Here is a video I found on the subject, mostly pertaining to this argument. Know that GL-5 is probably fine in your front axle.

/ Front axle gear oil #17  
GL5 is OK for front axles. The only harm it can do is in a synchronized transmission that has bronze or brass components in the synchros. The anti-wear additives in GL5 can damage those metals. An axle doesn't have those metals in it so it can't do any harm. After filling an axle that has been drained, there will be air trapped in the lower gear cases and it takes a while for the gear oil to run down in them and push the air out. After filling to the full mark, it's not uncommon to have to add more oil after the tractor sits for several hours or overnight because the air pockets finally fill with oil. The shop may not have rechecked the oil level later after the initial fill.

/ Front axle gear oil #18  
Used valvoline 75w-90 full synthetic in the front axle of the XR 3140 with some hot shots secret FR3 friction reducer for the 500 hr. service. Why the friction reducer? I had some so I Figgered what the heck....

The manual said to wait 5-10 minutes when adding oil to the ax!e. Did that and got the level perfect on the dip stick. Drove it around after was done with the service and was still on the top line.

Last edited: