Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736 #1  

DarMar

Bronze Member
Tractor
2014 Massey Ferguson 1736
I did the 50 hour service yesterday. After I drained the oil out of the front axle, I double checked the owners and service manual to verify that it required the Permatran III oil just like the transmission. Both manuals state that it uses Permatran II not III. I am assuming that it's an error in the manuals since I can't find any information on Permatran II on the internet. Any help is appreciated.

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736 #2  
I would agree on the typo. Permatran III is what you want in there.

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736
MFRED, thanks for the verification. All research led to Permatran III (or equivalent) so that is what I put in this morning.

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736 #4  
My 1423 recommended Permatran or SAE 80 gl-4. I end up putting in 80-90 weight oil. Runs fine.

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736 #5  
The front axle is designed to use either hyd/trans fluid or 80W90. The reason the factory uses hyd/trans oil instead of 80W90 is it is easier for the owner to keep 1 kind of oil on hand. If you happen to have a front axle that weeps oil, an easy fix it to replace the factory oil with 80W90

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736 #6  
The correct fluid is the same as the hydraulic system, Permatran III or Permatran 821XL. Unfortunately the manuals have various misprints. When draining the factory oils from the front axle or transmission it may appear more viscous than the Permatran fluids. Don't let that concern you, the factory oils are slightly more viscous but Permatran is correct going forward.

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736
jeepcj7 and jsftractors, thanks for the help.

/ Front Axle Oil for Massey Ferguson 1736 #8  
Thank you everyone for your responses and guidance.