FUEL PUMP

/ FUEL PUMP #1  

TONYROBERTS

Tractor
FORD 1520
I HAVE A FORD 1520 THAT I SWAPPED THE ORINGS OUT ON THE FUEL PUMP LINES AN NOW IT WONT RUN ? PLEASE HELP

/ FUEL PUMP #2  
Did you bleed the lines after you did the repair?

/ FUEL PUMP
YES SEVERAL TIMES ... ALSO GAS RAGGED IT GOT IT RUNNING FOR A FEW MINUTES BUT IT WONT STAY RUNNING

/ FUEL PUMP
ALSO WHEN IT CRANKS IT IDLES UP REAL HIGH THEN DIES

/ FUEL PUMP
SURELY SOMEONE HAS AN OPINION AS TO WHAT I SHOULD DO OR TRY

/ FUEL PUMP #6  
Maybe you could elaborate a little on what exactly "swapped out O rings" actually amounts to.

In my experience disassembling and reassembling injection pumps is not a homeowner type of repair.

No offense, but if that's where you are, it's no surprise that it won't run.

/ FUEL PUMP
I replaced the Orings at the base of the injectors because they were leaking. when putting it back together in one of the injector holes i noticed one of my pistons was sticking really bad. I'm not sure if I scared up the rod that the piston runs up an down on or what but if i can get some pointers I would greatly appreciate it . thanks in advance . by the way what does it mean your not surprised it wont run ?

/ FUEL PUMP #8  
Well for openers, the internals of most injection pumps,(at least the pumping units of the inline pumps) are very particular about clearances and clearance tolerances. That's only ONE reason why pump shops keep their work environments spotless. That allows them to lay things out, assemble parts and pieces without worrying about the dirt, dust, other contaminants, blowing around, all the stuff you and I can't avoid in the areas in which we're forced to work. And then they know (or have access to literature we don't) how all that stuff fits together, the order, sequence, what it should look and feel like as it goes together. All that.

I admit, on occasion I have gotten into a plunger unit or two for one reason or other. But only on a pump I'm familiar with, and feel confident I won't do more harm than good. I'd rather not, but sometimes you have few choices.

There are numerous posts such as yours where someone decides to "go it alone" and tear a pump apart to one degree or other and what a surprise. When it's all back together and on the engine, it won't run. Or it's hard starting, won't govern properly, this that or the other complaint about its operation or lack thereof. Then here comes the question. Why is this happening? What could go wrong? It all looks so simple, why doesn't it work?

I don't have the answers. There are those that do, and one may be along soon with some help for you. All I know is, when I come across pumps with problems, I've learned that some of those problems I can deal with, most I can't. My advice to that person is to bite the bullet, pull it off, send it someone who can do it right. That's how it usually works out for me. Then if there's a problem with it when it comes back, I know who to call and get it sorted out.